Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2004/01/13 14:28:47 UTC

svn_client_create_context returns error?

Why does svn_client_create_context() return an error?  Shouldn't it
just return the context object directly, instead of by reference?

Sorry if I missed some point made during the thread surrounding this.
But, since it does return error, it would be nice if its doc string
explained what the possible error conditions are.  Although in the
current implementation, there are none...

-Karl

Re: svn_client_create_context returns error?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:
> The entire point of the svn_client_create_context function is so that
> we can add things to the client context structure in the future
> without breaking existing applications.  It seems reasonable that
> something we might want to add might require some kind of
> initialization, which might fail, causing an error of some sort.
> Basically, it might be useful later, and it doesn't hurt much.

~shrug~

Okay.  Seems unlikely... but if this does happen later, you get to say
"I told you so" to me :-)

Re: svn_client_create_context returns error?

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> Why does svn_client_create_context() return an error?  Shouldn't it
> just return the context object directly, instead of by reference?
>
> Sorry if I missed some point made during the thread surrounding this.
> But, since it does return error, it would be nice if its doc string
> explained what the possible error conditions are.  Although in the
> current implementation, there are none...

The entire point of the svn_client_create_context function is so that we
can add things to the client context structure in the future without
breaking existing applications.  It seems reasonable that something we
might want to add might require some kind of initialization, which might
fail, causing an error of some sort.  Basically, it might be useful
later, and it doesn't hurt much.

-garrett

Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> writes:
> An argument was made that we might want to add something that failed in
> the future to the function.  Nobody countered.  So I implemented it
> with an svn_error_t return.

I will tweak the doc string.

Re: svn_client_create_context returns error?

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken