Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/08 02:39:30 UTC

Re: Building Jetspeed with MapServer Bridge

Hi Brian, thanks for your interest in the mapserver bridge. I'm cc'ing
the list so that others can use it.

On 12/7/06, Brian D. Pitts <bp...@learnlink.emory.edu> wrote:

>  Dear Mr. Donaghy,
>  I'm an assistant system administrator working with Emory University's
>  Robert W. Woodruff Library and the MetaScholar Initiative on the Southcomb
>  Project, a portal for Southern Studies research. We're attempting to use
>  your MapServer Bridge for Jetspeed2 from
>  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PB-31 to facilitate
> the GIS component
>  of the
>  Southcomb portal. I've read the documentation you provided at
>  http://wiki.apache.org/portals/MapServerPortlet , but I
> still have a few
>  questions about building Jetspeed2 along with the MapServer Bridge and
>  MapServerPortlet.
>
>  1) At what location in the Jetspeed2 source tree should I extract
>  mapserver.tar.gz?

This is already part of the bridges project. You can check it out
using the svn command or the subversion eclipse plugin.

svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/portals/bridges/trunk portals-bridges

>  2) At what location in the Jetspeed2 source tree should I extract
>  map-portlet.tar.gz?

This one is not part of the source. You can extract it in the
applications directory of the bridges project. Then you can build
bridges with the command 'maven allBuild'. This builds the mapserver
bridge and the map-portlet.

>  3) Does the section "Add MapServer Bridge to project.xml" refer
>  to the project.xml in mapserver.tar.gz or some other file that needs to be
>  modified?

No not that one. You will see that the
applications/map-portlet/project.xml has this dependency.

>  4) If creating a new psml, at what location in the Jetspeed2 source tree
>  should it be placed?
> portals-jetspeed-2/src/webapp/WEB-INF/pages?

Anywhere.

>  5) At what location in the Jetspeed2 source tree should the new
>  portlet.xml be placed?

Don't worry about building jetspeed. There is a portlet.xml in the map-portlet.

>  6) Is the program value in portlet.xml a path to the psml from some point
>  in the CATALINA_HOME directory tree or something else?

The Program portlet init param is a webserver path or URI from your
host name URL. Everything after http://localhost:8080 in the url of
the page displaying the map.

The MapServBinary, MapFile and MapWebImagePath all are absolute paths
to valid locations on the file system.

>  7) Is it possible to build the Bridge and deploy it to an existing
>  Jetspeed2 installation rather than rebuild all of Jetspeed2?

You probably don't even have to build the bridges project. Just modify
the map-portlet project should be enough to assemble a war that uses
the bridge.

>  If you do not have the time to answer these questions, or feel that I
>  should be able to figure them out on my own, I understand. If you do have
>  the time to answer them or to point me in the direction of resources that
>  will answer them, I would greatly appreciate it.

No trouble at all. Your welcome.

--
Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy