Posted to users@flex.apache.org by bgoldnyxnet <Ba...@ca.rr.com> on 2014/02/18 02:36:32 UTC

Missing "WindowedApplication"

My top-level mxml file looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<s:WindowedApplication xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
       xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx"
       xmlns:loc="location.*"
       xmlns:ch="choices.*"
       xmlns:step="script_step.*"
       pageTitle="Gasper Heights"
       height="600"
       weight="800"
       backgroundColor="#FFFFFF">
</s:WindowedApplication>

When I go to compile it, I get the error message:
compile:
    [mxmlc] Loading configuration file
C:\barry\bin\flex\sdks\4.6.0\frameworks\flex-config.xml
    [mxmlc] C:\dn\inprogress\GHen\flex\GHen\src\GHen.mxml: Error: Unable to
locate specified base class 'spark.components.WindowedApplication' for
component class 'GHen'.
    [mxmlc]

What's up with that?  When I look in the API reference,
spark.components.WindowedApplication is there.

Do I need to change my build file to use amxmlc instead of mxmlc?

Perhaps more generally, is there a reason to use AIR and/or a reason _not_
to use AIR?  If I have a .swf file on my disk and double-click it, the
Windows Shell opens it in my brower-of-choice, so I don't see exactly what
AIR is for. Or, contrariwise, any disadvantage to building the application
for AIR (at least for debugging).

Comments?

Re: Missing "WindowedApplication"

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 5:36 PM, bgoldnyxnet <Ba...@ca.rr.com> wrote:

> My top-level mxml file looks like this:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <s:WindowedApplication xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
>        xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"
>        xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx"
>        xmlns:loc="location.*"
>        xmlns:ch="choices.*"
>        xmlns:step="script_step.*"
>        pageTitle="Gasper Heights"
>        height="600"
>        weight="800"
>        backgroundColor="#FFFFFF">
> </s:WindowedApplication>
>
> When I go to compile it, I get the error message:
> compile:
>     [mxmlc] Loading configuration file
> C:\barry\bin\flex\sdks\4.6.0\frameworks\flex-config.xml
>     [mxmlc] C:\dn\inprogress\GHen\flex\GHen\src\GHen.mxml: Error: Unable to
> locate specified base class 'spark.components.WindowedApplication' for
> component class 'GHen'.
>     [mxmlc]
>
> What's up with that?  When I look in the API reference,
> spark.components.WindowedApplication is there.
>
> Do I need to change my build file to use amxmlc instead of mxmlc?

Looks like you are loading flex-config.xml.  For an AIR app, you need to
use the air-config.xml.  With mxmlc you can use the configname="air"
option.

> Perhaps more generally, is there a reason to use AIR and/or a reason _not_
> to use AIR?  If I have a .swf file on my disk and double-click it, the
> Windows Shell opens it in my brower-of-choice, so I don't see exactly what
> AIR is for. Or, contrariwise, any disadvantage to building the application
> for AIR (at least for debugging).
>
> Comments?

AIR runtime allows you to build desktop apps (and mobile apps targetted
towards iOS, Android and Blackberry)  If you want to have file system
access, SQLLite, etc.  building an AIR app is the way to go.

Think of AIR as an extremely liberal wrapper around a swf file that allows
you to do a lot of things.  Whereas a browser is a restrictive wrapper
around a swf file.  Which one you chose depends on your needs.

Om

Re: Missing "WindowedApplication"

Posted by Lee Burrows <su...@leeburrows.com>.
in your ant build, as per Om's reply, replace references to
"flex-config.xml" with "air-config.xml"

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

RE: Missing "WindowedApplication"

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.

De : Mark Line [mailto:markline@gmail.com] Envoyé : mardi 18 février 2014
10:08 À : users@flex.apache.org Objet : RE: Missing "WindowedApplication"

Flash develop if free, there is a free version of FDT (eclipse plug in).

Personally I use Flash builder but I was lucky enough to get work to pay for the licenses, although I keep meaning to try IntelliJ as I've been using Android studio which is built on it and I really like it

De : Barry Gold [mailto:BarryDGold@ca.rr.com] Envoyé : mardi 18 février 2014
03:50 À : users@flex.apache.org Objet : Re: Missing "WindowedApplication"

On 2/17/2014 5:47 PM, Lee Burrows wrote:
> What kind of project are you attempting to create? desktop, browser,
> mobile?

It's just a game.  Text, still pics (at the moment -- might look for somebody to do animation for me), buttons.  Nothing really complex.
Think of it as Zork with drawings.

Posted by Mark Line <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Thanks

> Isn't Flash Develop for AS only projects, not MXML ?
>
> Maurice

2014

Posted by Elena Geller <el...@gmail.com>.
I do mxml too. It's OK.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.

Posted by Barry Gold <Ba...@ca.rr.com>.

Posted by Lee Burrows <su...@leeburrows.com>.

On 18/02/2014 01:36, bgoldnyxnet wrote:
> My top-level mxml file looks like this:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <s:WindowedApplication xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
>         xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"
>         xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx"
>         xmlns:loc="location.*"
>         xmlns:ch="choices.*"
>         xmlns:step="script_step.*"
>         pageTitle="Gasper Heights"
>         height="600"
>         weight="800"
>         backgroundColor="#FFFFFF">
> </s:WindowedApplication>
>
> When I go to compile it, I get the error message:
> compile:
>      [mxmlc] Loading configuration file
> C:\barry\bin\flex\sdks\4.6.0\frameworks\flex-config.xml
>      [mxmlc] C:\dn\inprogress\GHen\flex\GHen\src\GHen.mxml: Error: Unable to
> locate specified base class 'spark.components.WindowedApplication' for
> component class 'GHen'.
>      [mxmlc]
>
> What's up with that?  When I look in the API reference,
> spark.components.WindowedApplication is there.
>
> Do I need to change my build file to use amxmlc instead of mxmlc?
>
> Perhaps more generally, is there a reason to use AIR and/or a reason _not_
> to use AIR?  If I have a .swf file on my disk and double-click it, the
> Windows Shell opens it in my brower-of-choice, so I don't see exactly what
> AIR is for. Or, contrariwise, any disadvantage to building the application
> for AIR (at least for debugging).
>
> Comments?

Lee Burrows
ActionScripter