Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Lahiru Gunathilake <la...@wso2.com> on 2008/01/16 08:06:40 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache httpd memory usage problem

Hi folks,
I'm running a Web Service which sends big Attachment with the request
using Apache Web Server and Apache Axis2c.When i send one request memory
usage of the system grows up for a particular value and stay in that
value without drop down to the previous memory usage value.Then when i
send the second request it again increase it's memory usage again and
stays in that value.So the same thing is happening without dropping the
memory usage since i kill all httpd.Then what happen is when i'm keep on
sending number of request the memory usage become 100% and swap is gonna
use and at last used swap 100% and system get freeze...

Is this the way httpd behave or Do you think there's a problem with
apache module i'm using to run Apache Axis2c?If there's a problem with
the apache module could you please inform me how to detect where the
problem occurs inside the apache module.

I have a simple server and when i'm sending request to that server what
happen is it increase the memory and when the response is over it comes
back to it's initial memory usage value.Then i can simply keep on
sending number of requests without any issue.But with Apache different
scenario is happening since it is not reduce it's memory usage even when
i'm stop sending request.

Any Ideas...

Regs
lahiru

Re: [users@httpd] Apache httpd memory usage problem

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 16, 2008 2:06 AM, Lahiru Gunathilake <la...@wso2.com> wrote:

> I have a simple server and when i'm sending request to that server what
> happen is it increase the memory and when the response is over it comes
> back to it's initial memory usage value.Then i can simply keep on
> sending number of requests without any issue.But with Apache different
> scenario is happening since it is not reduce it's memory usage even when
> i'm stop sending request.

If you're using the worker MPM, you will see memory grow in this
fashion until each thread has had a chance to serve the "big" request,
at which point it will flatten out. MaxMemFree may help if you need to
stay under some 3GB mark or the "big' requests are rare enough that
you really want Apache to "give back" allocated memory between
requests to avoid the tax of asking for it next time.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com