Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Sumit AGARWAL <su...@st.com> on 2004/06/03 11:58:41 UTC

Want to make james mailing list dynamic

we are working on james mailing list.we customized it to meet our
requirement.one thing remains that is creating a mailing list while james is
running.we donot want to restart the james server.
After calling processor.closeProcessorLists(); from JAMESSpoolManager.java
we are not able to add new mailets/matchers that we have created after
starting james.

Please tell me the exact path of execution from start of the server to the
routing the mails too.In other words the steps that the James server follows
to up the server.

has any body worked on it?
Pls guide us.

With regards
Sumit agg

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
I'm trying to clarify my idea before i start coding it.  I've been looking
at the source code of various parts of james, and i reckon i can reuse some
of the JDBCListServ and a lot of the CommandListServ.

I expect to create a mailing list mailet that uses a database table for
lists (with their settings, the list email address, and the command list
email address), and a database table for list subscribers and their
settings.

The maillet will have a companion matcher that recognise list mails by
looking for matching list addresses, or list command addresses in the first
table.

The mailet will then either send the message out to subscribers, or process
the command depending on which mail address it matches.

I expect to implement subscribe/unsunscribe/etc commands for users to use
themselves, but also to provide a web app that manipulates the database
directly.

The web app would provide management facilites for the lists, but also
management of subscribers.  Lists might be configured (indiviually) to not
have a list command server, so only the web app could be used.

I havnt had much time to work on this due to a heavy workload, but hopefully
this will ease off later in the summer, and i will have a chance to have a
go at implementing it.

Daniel.

Posted by Sumit AGARWAL <su...@st.com>.

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> has any body worked on it?

I have got a design for a mailing list manager that would have similar
capabilities to ezmlm, and it sounds as if Danny has done some work that
might fit well with it.

At the moment, I suggest that anyone working on lists be working with the
Command List Server code and not the older (and deprecated) list server
code.  That code should be much more amenable to dynamic lists, and is much
more capable.

I also encourage folks working on such things to join the server-dev mailing
list, and keep in touch with the other people working on James code.  :-)

	--- Noel