Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2015/01/28 21:34:28 UTC

Re: Jena3 planning [SDB]

On 27/01/15 07:10, Claude Warren wrote:
> I still think we need  SDB or an SDB like package.  My reasoning is that
> there are a number of places (think cloud providers, think large
> corporations that have internal data centers) where you can get a standard
> DB with all the backup and restore capability built in.  The ability to
> deploy on an existing well known infrastructure makes Jena an easier sell
> to management.

All true but.

SDB has been moved to RDF 1.1 because the code changes weren't too big.
(Data reload will be needed.) But we do not test SDB on each "supported"
database; it would need hardware, software management, licenses and
people-time.

We're growing - support growth is on answers.semanticweb and
stackoverflow where some great people give really thoughtful answers; it
is a great skill.

And at the same time, it feels to me that users@ questions are getting
harder :-) There is more benefit for user community for my time to go on
TDB and Fuseki.

The reality is that there are 3 ways to work with open source:
contribute to it, resource it, hope stuff happens.  If cloud
providers/large corp want it to generate revenue out of it, well, there
are ways to do that other than "hope".

	Andy