Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by James Godrej <ja...@yahoo.in> on 2011/02/23 09:57:44 UTC

[users@httpd] problem in using AOLServer and Apache on same machine at different ports

I am using a Ubuntu virtual machine.Where I installed OpenACS which
depends upon AOLServer.
To do so I had first shutdown Apache on this machine.
Then following instructions given here

http://openacs.org/xowiki/ubuntu

Step 1)
 aptitude install postgresql

Step 2)
 aptitude install openacs

I had to shutdown Apache to do above installation.
Now the installation finishes.So I can access http://localhost:8000

but when ever I try to start Apache on this machine which was shutdown
during installation I see the error

 service apache2 start
 * Starting web server apache2 (98)Address already in use: make_sock: couldnot
bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down Unable to open logs

So I thought may be OpenACS installs AOLServer so Aolserver might be
listening on port 80 I check
 /etc/aolserver4/conf.d/
openacs.sh
and here

 AOL_USER=www-data
AOL_GROUP=www-data
AOL_ADDRESS=192.168.1.15
AOL_PORT=8000
RUN_DAEMON=yes

So AOLServer is not listening on port 80 upto here it is confirmed.

 netstat -tualp  | grep 80
tcp  0      0 somemachine.somedimain.:8000 *:*   LISTEN   21321/aolserver4-ns

so netstat shows only 8000 in  use.
Then why am I unable to start Apache in this case?

Re: [users@httpd] problem in using AOLServer and Apache on same machine at different ports

Posted by Francois Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 3:57 AM, James Godrej <ja...@yahoo.in> wrote:
> I am using a Ubuntu virtual machine.Where I installed OpenACS which
> depends upon AOLServer.
> To do so I had first shutdown Apache on this machine.
> Then following instructions given here
>
> http://openacs.org/xowiki/ubuntu
>
> Step 1)
>  aptitude install postgresql
>
> Step 2)
>  aptitude install openacs
>
> I had to shutdown Apache to do above installation.
> Now the installation finishes.So I can access http://localhost:8000
>
> but when ever I try to start Apache on this machine which was shutdown
> during installation I see the error
>
>  service apache2 start
>  * Starting web server apache2 (98)Address already in use: make_sock: couldnot
> bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
> no listening sockets available, shutting down Unable to open logs
>

> So I thought may be OpenACS installs AOLServer so Aolserver might be
> listening on port 80 I check
>  /etc/aolserver4/conf.d/
> openacs.sh
> and here
>
>  AOL_USER=www-data
> AOL_GROUP=www-data
> AOL_ADDRESS=192.168.1.15
> AOL_PORT=8000
> RUN_DAEMON=yes
>

> So AOLServer is not listening on port 80 upto here it is confirmed.
>
>  netstat -tualp  | grep 80
> tcp  0      0 somemachine.somedimain.:8000 *:*   LISTEN   21321/aolserver4-ns
>
> so netstat shows only 8000 in  use.
> Then why am I unable to start Apache in this case?
>

>  service apache2 start
>  * Starting web server apache2    (98)Address already in use: make_sock:
> couldnot bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
> no listening sockets available, shutting down Unable to open logs

James,

Either 1) you're not root, 2) something's already running on that port
or 3) there are multiple listen or port directives. Please see
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/CouldNotBindToAddress, or 4) You've made
a typo in the Listen directive.

Frank.

Re: [users@httpd] problem in using AOLServer and Apache on same machine at different ports

Posted by James Godrej <ja...@yahoo.in>.

[...]

I was able to solve this problem this is not related to Apache directly but
since I am using apache on same machine and was not able to handle port at which
apache was listening so mentioning a solution so that it helps some one else.

 in /etc/default/aolserver4 file

putting RUN_DAEMON=no did the trick.
otherwise inspite of Apache only listening the thing at port 80

 Now inspite of port 80 being free  when ever I tried to start Apache on this
machine which 	was shutdown during installation I see the error

service apache2 start
* Starting web server apache2 (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could
not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs
but this solved my problem.Mentioning here so that it helps some one else.