Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2016/09/25 07:20:02 UTC

OFBiz specific rules on lazy consensus [was Re: [VOTE] Put the Flatgrey theme in Attic]

If people see a possible issue or are in doubt with a proposition, I propose they quickly  put a -1 as they would put a +1 on the contrary.
It would not a be vote, but then we would know that there is a kind of disagreement, but not yet time to explain it clearly.
And we would know we need to wait a bit more than normally and especially ask the persons who are concerned why they are.
Then we would wait their answers in a reasonable delay. By convention this would be 3 days.

I propose this rule to be written in a set of OFBiz specific rules which AFAIK are still to be written.
So this would be the first and we would create a prominent wiki page for that.

I think that by written OFBiz specific rules in a wiki page it will clarify the situations in most cases. We would of course add new OFBiz specific
rules when a new case would be crossed.

What do you think? Of course, here again lazy consensus apply https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#LazyConsensus but you might already use
the proposition above...

Jacques

Le 24/09/2016 � 23:39, Scott Gray a �crit :

Re: OFBiz specific rules on lazy consensus [was Re: [VOTE] Put the Flatgrey theme in Attic]

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Well yes and no, I think there should be a delay to continue the
conversation but no assumption of a lazy consensus. As I mentioned earlier,
your high level of activity can be overwhelming for regular contributors
and offering a delay doesn't remove the amount of time required to respond
to the high number of topics you initiate.

If I could offer a single piece of advice to you, it would be to slow down.
Work on things that are obviously non-contentious and try to limit the
discussions that turn out to be contentious.  I'm not saying don't have
them, but just try to space them out a bit so regular contributors have
time to digest them along with their own interests.

Regards
Scott

Posted by Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com>.
Since when has it been a bad thing to be active in an open-source community?
Just by looking at the contributions made, that seems like an odd discussion
to have

https://github.com/apache/ofbiz/graphs/contributors

There is no doubt that without people like jacques the project would be a
wasteland. Again: i think this email thread is running off topic - it really
seems like this is better suited for private mailings.

Re: OFBiz specific rules on lazy consensus [was Re: [VOTE] Put the Flatgrey theme in Attic]

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
When they're lazy consensus which demands a response and also overwhelming
us, well then things get difficult and I don't feel bad about about raising
it as an issue. I'm grateful for the commitment to the project but if I
can't keep up then I don't know how else to respond. What else do you
suggest?

Regards
Scott

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Paul,

In the thread you linked to, Jacques made some strong statements of what he
thought about the fact he hadn't received a response. I felt it was a good
opportunity to point out just how many responses he asks the community to
provide. It wasn't intended as an an attack, simply a request to take
pause. I'm not sure why Jacques opted to start two new discussions based on
what I said.

The PMC mailing list definitely isn't appropriate for this discussion.
Typically it's only reserved for committer/PMC membership votes, trademark
issues and other similarly sensitivite topics. Disagreement amongst PMC
members should be aired in public as any other contributor disagreements
would be.

Regards
Scott

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
I disagree that there is a need to define a "rule" in this case.
Rules are useful to govern a series of recurrent and similar behaviors from
several different individuals. Here this rule would be an attempt to govern
the consequences of the behavior of a single person.
In this case, the solution for you, as Scott as very well articulated,
would be to slow down and try to avoid engaging other community members in
long discussions.

Jacopo