Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com> on 2004/12/10 09:52:55 UTC

Lucene in Action e-book now available!

The Lucene in Action e-book is now available at Manning's site:

	http://www.manning.com/hatcher2

Manning also put lots of other goodies there, the table of contents,
"about this book", preface, the foreward from Doug Cutting himself
(thanks Doug!!!), and a couple of sample chapters.  The complete source
code is there as well.

Now comes the exciting part to find out what others think of the work
Otis and I spent 14+ months of our lives on.

	Erik

Re: Lucene in Action e-book now available!

Posted by Robinson Raju <ro...@gmail.com>.
Congrats !
i went through sample chapter 1 . well written .

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:58:25 -0500, Luke Shannon
<ls...@hypermedia.com> wrote:
> Nice Work!
>
> Congratulations Guys.

Robin
9886394650
"The merit of an action lies in finishing it to the end"

Re: Lucene in Action e-book now available!

Posted by Luke Shannon <ls...@hypermedia.com>.
Nice Work!

Congratulations Guys.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Jonathan,

On Dec 10, 2004, at 5:29 PM, Jonathan Hager wrote:
> Congratulations on the book.  I ordered my copy the other day via
> regular post and am eagerly awaiting it.  It looks like it will make
> lucene available to a much wider audience.

Thank you.  Let me know off-line when you receive your copy, so I can
get an idea of when it actually ships.

> Based on the table of contents, I wanted to toss out a couple of ideas
> for your next book or articles.

Suggestions more than welcome!

> 1. I didn't see any examples of indexing a database table.  Although
> it was mentioned in Chapter 1.  At the company I am currently
> consulting at, we index the data from the database because its cleaner
> than indexing the web.

It is true that LIA does not cover any details of indexing a database.
The idea is that Lucene indexes text, and how you get text into Lucene
is not usually generalizable - or at least not worth the complexity of
trying to do so.

The jGuru case study makes some strong points about indexing your
content rather than your website.  I've found that words of wisdom
often are more potent than specific technical details that do not
generalize.

>   This discussion should include why you would
> want to use lucene to index a database table, rather than just using
> the database indexes.  (The top reasons we choose to use Lucene
> instead of just database indexes are: It allows stem word recognition;
> It allows fuzzy searching; It ranks the results based on how good the
> match is; It contains a parser that will parse natural language
> queries; It has better Analyzers)

These are all great points.  I will add these to my notes for future
editions.

> 2. This one is a cookbook idea, I think it would be possible to index
> the access log of web server.  Than when a user views product X the
> searcher could search for a other products that were viewed by people
> that also looked at product X.  In this way you can create basic
> "cross-selling" opportunities.  This feature is a big seller to
> managers for commercial search offerings.

While this is not exactly what you mention, I did write a section on
the new term vector feature allowing it to be used for for finding
similar documents.

> 3. A lot of search applications being built using lucene are web
> applications.  I didn't see any reference to the two different
> strategies for paging a hit list.  The two strategies are repeating
> the search and caching a search.  An example of this would be good.
> [I know that I have seen this online, its just nice to have a
> reference in book form]

The Searching chapter has a brief section discussing this topic, with
the advice that re-searching is the best first approach.

> Please don't take this as criticism.

No worries.  Your points are all very valid.

To address the inevitable follow-up, I am setting up a blog site where
we'll post items that need further clarification, correction, or
completely new things that we did not cover.  This will take me a few
weeks to get time to set up properly.  I will announce it here when it
is available.

> I look forward to reading the book and appreciate your 14+ months of
> hard work to create a concise but valuable book for Lucene.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Posted by Jonathan Hager <jh...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations on the book.  I ordered my copy the other day via
regular post and am eagerly awaiting it.  It looks like it will make
lucene available to a much wider audience.

Based on the table of contents, I wanted to toss out a couple of ideas
for your next book or articles.

1. I didn't see any examples of indexing a database table.  Although
it was mentioned in Chapter 1.  At the company I am currently
consulting at, we index the data from the database because its cleaner
than indexing the web.  This discussion should include why you would
[...]

Please don't take this as criticism.  First of all, because I have not
read the book.  Secondly, I am excluding the other 17 topics that I
thought should be in a book (for example, indexing PDFs, highlighting
search results, create a thesaurus, suggesting alternatives spellings,
filtering by ACLs, etc...) because they are clearly in your table of
contents.

I look forward to reading the book and appreciate your 14+ months of
hard work to create a concise but valuable book for Lucene.

Jonathan

Posted by William W <wi...@hotmail.com>.
Am I the first one who bought the Lucene in Action book ?

Thanks Erik and Otis.

William W. Silva