Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/17 06:41:15 UTC

Apache OpenOffice (I) at Oscon

Hi
I'm at Oscon for most of the week Oscon is the open source convention of note and where the term, "open source" was in fact coined. It draws those from all sectors. Apache has a room tomorrow, where I can present a brief (or boringly long) summary of work being done. I expect critiques as well as queries regarding process and product.

I've kept in touch with what is going on. But my interest is in learning what you have to say and would have me say. It's not an official representation that I'll give; it's more a subjective zeitgeist presentation.

So here are some areas:

* status of the product: where are we?

* status of the product: where are we going, what is the next release and when?

* status of the product: how popular is it? We've just breached 7M downloads since inception of AOO (i) but where do we stand regarding locations of downloads, etc? What kinds of platforms? What languages?

* Status of project: how are the NLCs doing?

* Status of community: what can be done in the community to improve?

	- communication efforts?
	- regional outreach?
	- other?

These are all fairly obvious and even whimsical questions and points; feel free to add more.  The presentation, too, will be brief—

Thanks
Louis

Re: Apache OpenOffice (I) at Oscon

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> I've kept in touch with what is going on. But my interest is in
> learning what you have to say and would have me say.

Assuming you are already familiar with all topics you listed (and of
course you are!) I'd say the numbers Rob gave already provide solid
facts on which to base upon. So I'm just contributing a couple of casual
observations (nothing new, just stuff I find interesting to say) below.

> * Status of project: how are the NLCs doing?

The structure at Apache is not hierarchical as it used to be in the old
OpenOffice.org projects, so we don't have Native-Lang project leads or
similar titles; instead, we have a good mix of old and new volunteers
who jumped in and decided to help with translations and materials in
languages other than English.

Active mailing lists are listed here:
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/native-lang.html
and a lot of activity happens on the forum (10 languages):
http://user.services.openoffice.org/

We are distributing OpenOffice in fewer languages than before, but this
is merely a choice of this project: we decided to distribute only
languages where we have active volunteers involved and where translation
is 100% complete and possibly verified. Nothing is preventing us from
building OpenOffice in the 100+ languages previously supported
(including those that haven't been updated for several years and those
with very limited coverage of the application strings); we can include
them at any moment, but the choice so far was to focus on quality. We
will stick to this choice for 3.4.1, then we may (or may not) adopt a
different approach.

The project is open and welcoming towards new translators.

> * Status of community: what can be done in the community to improve?
> - communication efforts? - regional outreach? - other?

The project reputation is very good, but we still can't get the message
out in the most effective way. I don't have any criticism or solutions,
but I feel we could benefit from a communication-oriented group of
volunteers: there are more good things done in this project than those
that reach the media.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Apache OpenOffice (I) at Oscon

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Rob—

Others?

Keep in mind: What I want to report is to a degree subjective engagement with the project, a kind of "user experience" for or of the project, as well as factual activity.

What I'd really like to have happen but doubt it will is for people to walk away thinking about joining or otherwise participating.

So, some more things:

* What's fun about this effort?
* What's kind of less fun but worthy?
* What would you like to be doing?

-louis

PS and what about that convention, anyway?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.