Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> on 2012/03/06 01:58:48 UTC

Antideficiency Act

[This email is NOT confidential.]

A colleague recently sent me his notes from a U.S. Department of Defense
"Open Source Software Public Meeting" last January. This meeting was held
primarily to discuss with government suppliers of software the new DFARS
policies on the acquisition of open source software. I had reviewed the
DFARS document a few months earlier and expected no particular issues to
arise at the meeting. I didn't go.

However, I learned later that there were several references at that meeting
to the Antideficiency Act, codified generally at 31 U.S.C. §§ 1341(a), 1342,
and 1517(a). These obscure (to me) statutes prohibit any government agency
from authorizing any obligation in excess of the amount appropriated unless
authorized by law.

This affects Apache because of this obscure (to me) provision in Apache
License 2.0:

9. Accepting Warranty or Additional Liability. While redistributing the Work
or Derivative Works thereof, You may choose to offer, and charge a fee for,
acceptance of support, warranty, indemnity, or other liability obligations
and/or rights consistent with this License. However, in accepting such
obligations, You may act only on Your own behalf and on Your sole
responsibility, not on behalf of any other Contributor, and only if You
agree to indemnify, defend, and hold each Contributor harmless for any
liability incurred by, or claims asserted against, such Contributor by
reason of your accepting any such warranty or additional liability.
[Emphasis added by underlining.]

Here is how my colleague described the particular "incompatibility" between
the Antideficiency Act and Apache License 2.0 that affected one of his
client's transactions:

We are using certain Apache code in one of our proprietary products.  The
code is subject to Apache 2.0 and we make the necessary disclosure of this
in our software license.  After reviewing the Apache 2.0 license, a division
of the Army (one of our customers) believes that Section 9 (indemnification)
constitutes an Anti-Deficiency Act (ADA) violation and therefore has
rejected the order on grounds that it cannot accept this ADA risk.  An ADA
violation arises when a Government agency makes or authorizes an expenditure
or obligation of money (i) in excess of the amount available in an
appropriation or fund (31 USC 1341(a)(1)(A)) or (ii) due to a contract or
obligation for the payment of money before an appropriation is made, unless
authorized by law (31 USC 1341 (a)(1)(B)).  Indemnification clauses run
afoul of the ADA because the Government in essence is agreeing to an unknown
monetary amount in absence of an appropriation.

We have argued incessantly to the Army that we do not believe that the
indemnification clause applies to them so long as they merely use the
software program as a consumer (i.e. so long as they do not offer
warranties, indemnification, support, or other legal obligations to any
other third parties… which is the case as the Army is only using the
software as a downstream consumer).  The Army, however, believes that any
contingency indemnification obligation, no matter how unlikely, constitutes
an ADA violation.  Basically the Army believes that any indemnity
obligation, no matter how remote, constitutes an obligation to commit
government funds.  Note, too, that even if we were to agree with the
Government that we would stand in the Government’s shoes as indemnitor
(which we will not do), the Government has taken the position that even that
would not be sufficient to do away with the ADA violation risk.  Short of
removing Section 9 indemnity from the Apache license… which we are powerless
to do even if we wanted to, or somehow asking Apache to relax Section 9
(which I do not expect Apache to do), or removing the Apache code and
replacing it with either commercially available code or our own suitable
replacement (which is possible but causes a lot of other side engineering
issues and delays), I am having trouble finding a way around the problem.

In our view, the Army is taking a hyper-sensitive view of the indemnity
clause and the ADA.  They also are ignoring the fact that Apache code is
some of the most widespread code in use within the Department of Defense (if
you believe the Mitre study on this and recent reports that the DoD CIO has
put out).  One also wonders how the Government can advocate encouraging the
use of OSS within the Government when faced with intractable positions like
we are facing with the Army.   The Army attorney I am dealing with told me
that she would prefer that Apache, GPL, and others all make their OSS
licenses more “government friendly” to avoid things like indemnification and
choice of law (i.e. substituting a particular state for governing law in
favor of federal common law).  ...  I do believe this particular wing of the
Army is taking an untenable, overly conservative view of the ADA.  My guess
is that it is not within the norm of how most government agencies… civilian
and DoD… interpret the Apache license.

One senior government official reportedly opined at the January meeting that
"contractors should not discount the possibility of negotiating license
deviations from the OSS license with entities like Apache or FSF." I note
this only to point out the absurdity of certain expectations about open
source. :-)

Better than just yelling in frustration, though, and in the interest of
providing a sensitive and well-reasoned response to vendors hawking Apache
wares to the U.S. government, do any of you have a ready answer why our
license isn't incompatible with the Antideficiency Act that we can share
with the government and on our website?

/Larry

bcc:

Lawrence Rosen

3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482

Cell: 707-478-8932

Apache Software Foundation, board member (www.apache.org)

Re: Antideficiency Act

Posted by Philip Odence <po...@blackducksoftware.com>.
Sorry, I'm behind in my email and just noticed that I wasn't the first to
come across the Fierce Government IT article. I've actually written up a
little blog on the subject which should show up on opensourcedelivers.com
next week. Will let you all know.

Re: Antideficiency Act

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Great finding, Emmanuel!

Re: Antideficiency Act

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Interesting article.

Re: Antideficiency Act

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Mar 16, 2012, at 8:53 AM, Philip Odence wrote:

> Evidently that Army Material Command has come to its senses:
> http://www.fiercegovernmentit.com/story/army-lawyers-dismiss-apache-license-indemnification-snafu/2012-03-08

Yeppers.

Re: Antideficiency Act

Posted by Philip Odence <po...@blackducksoftware.com>.