Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2007/05/10 17:11:44 UTC

Bundled Ant+Ivy

Xavier Hanin wrote:

>> >I for one would vote for the Ant+Ivy bundling - maybe not the default
>> >distribution but some "deluxe edition" or something :-).  I'm
>> >not sure
>> >how much value Ivy can contribute to Maven, on the other hand.
>> >Dependency/repository management isn't the weakness of Maven.
>>

>> ATM Ant provides a fetch.xml buildfile which should download optional
>> libraries.
>> Ant dev@ant we thought about changing that into an Ivy step.
>> Maybe Ant delivers Ivy, alternatively Ant has a target to download Ivy.
>> It doesnt
>> make any difference to me if you type
>>     ant -f fetch.xml
>> and having Ivy present before running this buildfile or after running
>> it...
> Yes, but the integration could even go further, and download
> dependencies on demand (instead of having to call fetch.xml - see
> Steve discussion on dev@ant mailing list). In this case bundling Ivy
> with Ant could be interesting to get this kind of automatic download
> out of the box.

  I may cut a sourceforge hosted Ant distro to go with my book,
ant1.7.0+most of the binaries, inc ivy, xalan, etc

For full integration into ant, we may stick it in the distro alongside
xerces, and add hooks for resolution processes. These hooks would be
designed so that the maven tasks can slot in too if they want (or some
IDE thingy).

1. a percentage done callback/handler for progress. (with cancel?)
2. extra antlib namespace to artifact loading support. Name an antlib
and have it loaded
3. some changes to <subant> to make it run lists of tasks better.

-steve

Re: Bundled Ant+Ivy

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 5/10/07, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> >> ATM Ant provides a fetch.xml buildfile which should download optional
> >> libraries.
> >> Ant dev@ant we thought about changing that into an Ivy step.
> >> Maybe Ant delivers Ivy, alternatively Ant has a target to download Ivy.
> >> It doesnt
> >> make any difference to me if you type
> >>     ant -f fetch.xml
> >> and having Ivy present before running this buildfile or after running
> >> it...
> > Yes, but the integration could even go further, and download
> > dependencies on demand (instead of having to call fetch.xml - see
> > Steve discussion on dev@ant mailing list). In this case bundling Ivy
> > with Ant could be interesting to get this kind of automatic download
> > out of the box.
>
>   I may cut a sourceforge hosted Ant distro to go with my book,
> ant1.7.0+most of the binaries, inc ivy, xalan, etc
>
> For full integration into ant, we may stick it in the distro alongside
> xerces, and add hooks for resolution processes. These hooks would be
> designed so that the maven tasks can slot in too if they want (or some
> IDE thingy).

Sounds nice.

1. a percentage done callback/handler for progress. (with cancel?)

Yes, this would be very nice. Ivy already has support for this kind of
things (used in IvyDE), including cancel support (not very well implemented,
but it works most of the time :-))

2. extra antlib namespace to artifact loading support. Name an antlib
> and have it loaded

Yes, this is what we are currently discussing on user@ant.a.o, right?

3. some changes to <subant> to make it run lists of tasks better.

Great!

Xavier

-steve

Manage your dependencies with Ivy!