Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Mi...@servicecanada.gc.ca on 2007/07/06 20:28:13 UTC

Rampart configuration question

Hi,

I'm trying to use Rampart to encrypt my message body using a symetric secret key.

Sample 9, included with the Rampart distibution, does just this. The actual key is hard-coded in a callback function both on the client and the server. My understanding is that the key is the only piece of data needed to encode the message.

I was wondering why this part of the client config file:

        <action>
            <items>Encrypt</items>
            <user>client</user>
            <encryptionKeyIdentifier>EmbeddedKeyName</encryptionKeyIdentifier>
            <EmbeddedKeyCallbackClass>org.apache.rampart.samples.sample09.PWCBHandler</EmbeddedKeyCallbackClass>
            <encryptionPropFile>client.properties</encryptionPropFile>
            <EmbeddedKeyName>SessionKey</EmbeddedKeyName>
        </action>

contains the encryptionPropFile property. The said property file contains this:

org.apache.ws.security.crypto.provider=org.apache.ws.security.components.crypto.Merlin
org.apache.ws.security.crypto.merlin.keystore.type=jks
org.apache.ws.security.crypto.merlin.keystore.password=apache
org.apache.ws.security.crypto.merlin.file=client.jks

Now, I can see why we need to configure the provider class. But why does Rampart need the keystore? I'm not using public/private keys or certificates, just one secret key.

The code works, but I'd like to simplify it as much as possible. The properties and keystore files shouldn't be necessary, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Many thanks
Michael Davis

RE: Rampart configuration question

Posted by Mi...@servicecanada.gc.ca.
Hi again,

I figured out that there are just a couple of classes in wssj4 that depend on axis 1. I removed them, and commented out the code I listed below from WSHandler, rebuilt wss4j, and now it works - I can encode my message without a properties file or keystore file.

cheers,
md

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.

www.ruchith.org
www.wso2.org

Re: Is wss4j still an active project? (was: Rampart configuration question)

Posted by Chad DeBauch <cd...@gmail.com>.
Yes wss4j is still active, you may want to subscribe to the wss4j mailing
list and ask the question there.

Chad

On 7/9/07, Michael.Davis@servicecanada.gc.ca <
Michael.Davis@servicecanada.gc.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I didn't see any replies to the question below, so I started digging
> through the rampart/wss4j code. I found a workaround that will allow me to
> hard-code the private key into my client and server, and not have to have
> absolute paths to key files. This involves making a small change to one of
> the wss4j classes.
>
> I got the wss4j source code and tried to build it. Unfortunately it was
> build with axis version 1, and I'm using axis2. It's trying to import
> org.apache.axis packages whereas the new version's package names begin
> with org.apache.axis2. Moreover, some classes from the old version have
> moved since the new one. For example, wss4j tries to import
> org.apache.axix.Message, but there is no such class
> org.apache.axis2.Message, so I can't just change the package names.
>
> Anyway, is wss4j still in active development? It doesn't look like it. Has
> anyone moved the source to be compatible with axis2?
>
> cheers,
> md

Thanks!

cheers,