Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2003/05/15 00:26:35 UTC

[lang][collections][functor] Functors move

With the upcoming 2.0 [lang] release, I have been considering whether the
[lang] functor subpackage is still valid for release, especially given
[functor]. I have come to the conclusion that it is not.

- since the functor subpackage was added to [lang], the [functor] project
has been created. It has taken a clear ground up approach to functors that
is far more comprehensive than the [lang] version ever can be.

- the [lang] functor subpackage is still based on the requirements of
[collections]. This is not a good situation, as it may cause pressure for
improvements to functor in [lang] that would impinge on the scope of
[functor].

- there is a good case for keeping [lang], [collections] and [functor] as
three independent jars not depending on one another. Releasing functors in
[lang] would result in pressure for [collections] to depend on [lang] which
would be difficult to fully justify and quite a large change to
[collections].

- the downside of removing functors from [lang] is that it can't use
functors. This should not be a problem given the aims of [lang]. Other
projects can use functors, by using [functor] which is much better designed
for the purpose.

So, I propose to
- remove the [lang] functor subpackage
- add the package (slightly altered) to [collections]
- retain [lang] and [collections] as base jars with no dependencies

Stephen

Re: [lang][collections][functor] Functors move

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Changes made to [collections], [lang] and [io].

Stephen

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> So, I propose to
> - remove the [lang] functor subpackage
> - add the package (slightly altered) to [collections]
> - retain [lang] and [collections] as base jars with no dependencies

+1.

Posted by "Christian (SerpentMage)" <ma...@devspace.com>.
At 23:26 14/05/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>With the upcoming 2.0 [lang] release, I have been considering whether the
>[lang] functor subpackage is still valid for release, especially given
>[functor]. I have come to the conclusion that it is not.

While I can understand what you are doing here.  There is something that I
wonder about.

What happens to the factory methods?  The reason I ask is because I
actually wrote about this in upcoming book.  I am now finishing this
book.  I looked in the new functor package and there are no factory methods
persay.

Can we get the factory methods back?

Thanks

Christian Gross