Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/03 11:26:37 UTC

Re: T5.1.0.2 problem with TestableRequestImpl

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Blower, Andy
<An...@proquest.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm in the process of migrating from T5.0.18 to T5.1 and I'm using the T5.1.0.2 release currently being voted on. I've fixed all the compilation errors and disabled enough of our custom stuff to get pages rendering, although most of our javascript seems to be broken (I'll be looking into this issue next), but I have a lot of unit tests failing. Basically all of the tests using org.apache.tapestry5.test.PageTester to do a test render are failing with the stacktrace appended to the bottom of this email. This appears to be caused by the new method that's been added to the Request interface but not implemented in TestableRequestImpl. (well technically it is, but all it does is throw a RuntimeException)
>
> So, has anyone else encountered this issue? Why aren't any of the Tapestry tests affected? What's the best way to fix this?

I too encountered this problem but i neglected to write about it cause
i was already migrating to using Selenium based tests but i should
have.

If anyone would look there are example in the chenillekit-access
module which should fire the problem.

--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

RE: T5.1.0.2 problem with TestableRequestImpl

Posted by "Blower, Andy" <An...@proquest.co.uk>.
Thanks Thiago, I managed to get sorted this out already and you're right on the money. It was the move of the JS includes and incompatibility with the newer version of prototype of one of our 3rd party JS modules. Luckily the inline JS we needed before (couldn't use rendersupport, it needed to be defined before the JS import) is no longer needed with the latest version of the 3rd party module.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've added TAP5-621.
>
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Looking at the stack trace, it appears that there was an exception,
>> and that the PageTester problem occured while rendering out the
>> exception report page.  We could change getServerName() to just return
>> "localhost" rather than throwing an exception.

You're right, it was the ExceptionReport page that produce that error
but that hides the acual one. With the current fix we at least could
see the real issue. I'll try it asap, thanks

--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: T5.1.0.2 problem with TestableRequestImpl

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I've added TAP5-621.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at the stack trace, it appears that there was an exception,
> and that the PageTester problem occured while rendering out the
> exception report page.  We could change getServerName() to just return
> "localhost" rather than throwing an exception.
>
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Blower, Andy
>> <An...@proquest.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm in the process of migrating from T5.0.18 to T5.1 and I'm using the T5.1.0.2 release currently being voted on. I've fixed all the compilation errors and disabled enough of our custom stuff to get pages rendering, although most of our javascript seems to be broken (I'll be looking into this issue next), but I have a lot of unit tests failing. Basically all of the tests using org.apache.tapestry5.test.PageTester to do a test render are failing with the stacktrace appended to the bottom of this email. This appears to be caused by the new method that's been added to the Request interface but not implemented in TestableRequestImpl. (well technically it is, but all it does is throw a RuntimeException)
>>>
>>> So, has anyone else encountered this issue? Why aren't any of the Tapestry tests affected? What's the best way to fix this?
>>
>> I too encountered this problem but i neglected to write about it cause
>> i was already migrating to using Selenium based tests but i should
>> have.
>>
>> If anyone would look there are example in the chenillekit-access
>> module which should fire the problem.
>>
>> --
>> Massimo
>> http://meridio.blogspot.com

> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: T5.1.0.2 problem with TestableRequestImpl

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Looking at the stack trace, it appears that there was an exception,
and that the PageTester problem occured while rendering out the
exception report page.  We could change getServerName() to just return
"localhost" rather than throwing an exception.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Blower, Andy
> <An...@proquest.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm in the process of migrating from T5.0.18 to T5.1 and I'm using the T5.1.0.2 release currently being voted on. I've fixed all the compilation errors and disabled enough of our custom stuff to get pages rendering, although most of our javascript seems to be broken (I'll be looking into this issue next), but I have a lot of unit tests failing. Basically all of the tests using org.apache.tapestry5.test.PageTester to do a test render are failing with the stacktrace appended to the bottom of this email. This appears to be caused by the new method that's been added to the Request interface but not implemented in TestableRequestImpl. (well technically it is, but all it does is throw a RuntimeException)
>>
>> So, has anyone else encountered this issue? Why aren't any of the Tapestry tests affected? What's the best way to fix this?
>
> I too encountered this problem but i neglected to write about it cause
> i was already migrating to using Selenium based tests but i should
> have.
>
> If anyone would look there are example in the chenillekit-access
> module which should fire the problem.
>
> --
> Massimo
> http://meridio.blogspot.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship

RE: T5.1.0.2 problem with TestableRequestImpl

Posted by "Blower, Andy" <An...@proquest.co.uk>.
I have now filed a JIRA issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-643) - it seems that PageTester is using the application module defined in web.xml which is causing issues for me because of some dispatchers which will not work without external servers or the real request/response (inc. cookies) stuff.

We use PageTester to unit test the rendering of pages & components - trying to be dependent on as little else as possible. Please vote if this is affecting you too.

Posted by "Blower, Andy" <An...@proquest.co.uk>.

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:

> Hi Massimo,
>
> What's the Selelium based test? can it replace PageTester? I have tried the
> PageTester on the past, and the impression I got is, making it work requires
> more effort to write the program itself and test it manually. might like to
> try the selenium based test.

They are similar in concept different in implementation. Selenium
tests (using tapestry-test) let you view the entire web page while
PageTester let you drive the rendering (and executing) of the page
without actually render it.

--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: T5.1.0.2 problem with TestableRequestImpl

Posted by Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk>.
Hi Massimo,

What's the Selelium based test? can it replace PageTester? I have tried the
PageTester on the past, and the impression I got is, making it work requires
more effort to write the program itself and test it manually. might like to
try the selenium based test.

Angelo