Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carlos Araya <ca...@cvc.edu> on 2002/01/25 03:03:52 UTC

Re: how to display a web page with a MS word document which is stored in database

Right now you can't display Word documents natively unless you have a reader
plugin.

On 01/24/02 17:27, "marco" <ma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am using cocoon 2, tomcat 4.0, jdk1.3, mySQL 3.23.39.
>
> I am thinking of store the MS word document in database or file system.
> Please advise which storage method is the best and please advise the detail
> technical implementation of the two methods (i.e. how to write the code of
> the program). Thanks.

Carlos E. Araya
---+ WebCT Administrator/Trainer
 P | California Virtual Campus
 - | C/O De Anza College
 G | 21250 Stevens Creek Blvd
---+ Cupertino, CA 95014

email               carlos@cvc.edu
web                 http://www.cvc1.org/ (work)
                    http://www.silverwolf-net.net (personal)
phone               408 257 0420 (work)
PGP Fingerprint:    E629 5DFD 7EAE 4995 E9D7  3D2F 5A9F 0CE7 DFE7 1756

80/20 Rule: Simplicity vs. complexity. 80 percent of the
functionality/feature set of an "ideal" solution set, with only 20 percent
of the complexity of the ideal solution or 20 percent of the effort required
to build the ideal solution; or put another way, the last 20 percent of the
"ideal" feature set is what creates the most complexity

Re: how to display a web page with a MS word document which is stored in database

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
marco wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. May be my question is mis-leading.
>
> Let's me put it the other way around.
>
> How can I make use of cocoon to allow users to download a MS Word file from
> the web server database using their web browser?
>
> What program code do I need and what should I put in the sitemap of cocoon?

Take a look at the DatabaseReader

After you have done some homework on that, you can ask more specific questions.

(Note, instructions on how to use it are best suited for "cocoon-users" list.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: how to display a web page with a MS word document which is stored in database