Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jamie Krasnoo <kr...@socal.rr.com> on 2003/07/11 23:04:22 UTC

mod_perl 2.0 and cookies

So I've decided to dive headlong into 2.0. So far I like it but find the
documentation lacking and there seems to be a lot missing. I tried
Apache::Cookie with it, no dice. It gave an error to the effect that it
didn't know what "bootstrap" was (I think that was it). Apache::Cookie
made inserting cookies in mod_perl 1.0 so easy which in turn made life
easier for programming. However I have scoured the documentation on how
to insert a cookie into the header and the only thing I could come up
with is that you use a filter to do it. Somehow I don't think that this
is right and I am completely off. Could someone enlighten me as to how
cookies work in MP2? If I can get past this I can figure out the rest on
my own and maybe write a little documentation if I can understand it
enough to do so.

Thank you,

Jamie

Re: mod_perl 2.0 and cookies

Posted by Dennis Stout <st...@stout.dyndns.org>.
> So I've decided to dive headlong into 2.0. So far I like it but find the
> documentation lacking and there seems to be a lot missing. I tried
> Apache::Cookie with it, no dice. It gave an error to the effect that it
> didn't know what "bootstrap" was (I think that was it). Apache::Cookie
> made inserting cookies in mod_perl 1.0 so easy which in turn made life
> easier for programming. However I have scoured the documentation on how
> to insert a cookie into the header and the only thing I could come up
> with is that you use a filter to do it. Somehow I don't think that this
> is right and I am completely off. Could someone enlighten me as to how
> cookies work in MP2? If I can get past this I can figure out the rest on
> my own and maybe write a little documentation if I can understand it
> enough to do so.

>From what I've figured out through experiementing, tho I'd find out a lot more
by reading source and I'd be a bit more accurate in this... But I think
mod_perl 2 is just simply lacking all together.  I think the docs are lacking
info because the program is lacking hte feature!

Course, this only means I havern't figured out how to use the features, if
they are there.  But, to me, mod_perl x+1 should be backwards compatible with
mod_perl x, if it isn't, then it's broken.  (in my opinion..)

Dennis

Re: mod_perl 2.0 and cookies

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Jamie Krasnoo wrote:

> So I've decided to dive headlong into 2.0. So far I like it but
> find the documentation lacking and there seems to be a lot
> missing. I tried Apache::Cookie with it, no dice. It gave an
> error to the effect that it didn't know what "bootstrap" was (I
> think that was it). Apache::Cookie made inserting cookies in
> mod_perl 1.0 so easy which in turn made life easier for
> programming. However I have scoured the documentation on how to
> insert a cookie into the header and the only thing I could come
> up with is that you use a filter to do it. Somehow I don't
> think that this is right and I am completely off. Could someone
> enlighten me as to how cookies work in MP2? If I can get past
> this I can figure out the rest on my own and maybe write a
> little documentation if I can understand it enough to do so.

It wasn't clear to me - are you using the development version of
httpd-apreq-2? The CPAN version of libapreq are for mod_perl 1 -
you'll need httpd-apreq-2 (available via cvs) for Apache 2.

If you are using Apache::Cookie of httpd-apreq-2, at this point,
probably the simplest way to see examples of the basic usage is
to go through the tests, under glue/perl/t/. Documentation
patches would be welcome - it would be easiest to subscribe to
the apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org mailing list and submit them
there.

--
best regards,