Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Markus Meyer <ma...@koeln.de> on 2008/03/26 10:01:11 UTC

Move dir from one repo into it's own

Hi folks,

I have a directory "foo" which is somewhere in the repo "bar". Now I
want that this dir gets it's own repo. How can I accompish this?
AFAIK "svnadmin dump/switch" work only on complete repos.
Any hints welcome ;)

Thanks,

	Markus Meyer

Re: Move dir from one repo into it's own

Posted by Markus Meyer <ma...@koeln.de>.
Ryan Schmidt schrieb:
> "svndumpfilter" the dumpfile to include only "foo" and load that into
> the new repo for foo

Thanks Ryan, svndumpfilter did the trick. Only problem is now this one:

# svndumpfilter include online/libs/Zend < wkw.dump > zend_test.dump
# svnadmin  load /var/svn/test <zend_test.dump
svnadmin: File not found: transaction '3210-1', path 'online/libs/Zend'

Here it stops. There are over 6000 revisions in this repo. I'm not quite
sure what above error means.

Cheers,

	Markus

Re: Move dir from one repo into it's own

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 26, 2008, at 05:01, Markus Meyer wrote:

> I have a directory "foo" which is somewhere in the repo "bar". Now
> I want that this dir gets it's own repo. How can I accompish this?
> AFAIK "svnadmin dump/switch" work only on complete repos.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/
svn.reposadmin.maint.html#svn.reposadmin.maint.migrate

"svnadmin dump" the entire old repository.

To create the new repo that contains only "foo":

"svnadmin create" the new repo for foo
"svndumpfilter" the dumpfile to include only "foo" and load that into
the new repo for foo

To create the new repo that contains everything except "foo":

"svnadmin create" the new repo for everything but foo
"svndumpfilter" the dumpfile to exclude "foo" and load that into the
new repo for everything but foo

backup and then remove the old repo
backup and then remove all working copies of the old repo
check out new working copies