Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by ph...@digiatlas.org on 2008/05/08 17:44:17 UTC

new user help required

Hi,

I've had a look through the archive but haven't spotted an explanation
for my query.

I have used Tapestry 3 in the past and have just started looking at
T5. I have not used Maven before and part of my query probably relates
to that.

I have been doing Howard's tutorial and I note Maven pulls in
annotations-5.0.10 which does not have @Property (so the tutorial
breaks unless you specify the getters and setters explicitly). Without
knowing anything of Maven I took a gues and changed the POM file line
that specifies the Tapestry release version to 5.0.11 and it magically
pulled down all the new files.

That seemed to fix things w.r.t @Property - it all compiled and ran in
the browser correctly. However, when I did the next bit of the
tutorial it somehow broke it. It still compiles (and the correct
libraries are in the Build path) but it no longer works, giving:

org.apache.tapestry.internal.services.TransformationException:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.tapestry.annotations.Property

While all this "magic" automatic running of things is fine, with no
understanding of how Jetty is getting the classpath I have no idea how
to go about fixing this. I also notice that while Howard points out in
his video how dandy it is to change something and write the file and
refreshing the browser just automagically updates, it doesn't do that
all the time. As I've got further into the tutorial I find I now
always have to restart Jetty to get the changes to come through. Ok,
it's cached - how do I get it to lose the cached version without
restarting Jetty?

Help please.

p.

RE: new user help required

Posted by Jonathan Barker <jo...@gmail.com>.
The tutorial starts with Jetty run from Maven, but then switches over to
JettyLauncher midway through chapter 2.

The fact that you were not able to back out the changes suggests that you
may have something either missing, or duplicated in your classpath.  Watch
out for remnants of the earlier Tapestry jars. (As an aside, I occasionally
find Maven really mixes things up with versions as third-party libraries
come into the mix.  Always check your classpath.)

I strongly recommend JettyLauncher.  I use it for development, and then do a
final test and deploy on tomcat or JBoss. It's a dream. The only change I
made was to use JettyPlus to get datasources into the mix.  JettyLauncher
recognizes JettyPlus as well.

I hope something there helps.

Re: new user help required

Posted by ph...@digiatlas.org.

Re: new user help required

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
I think this is as simple as the Tutorial not having been updated to
the most recent release of T5.  Essentially it's a documentation
error.  You were right to bump to 5.0.11, I suspect.

I wouldn't use jetty runner, but would revert back to the older Jetty
Launcher.  We had one developer just start to do the Tutorial and had
problems with the jetty runner eclipse plugin that we didn't have when
we had him use the "JettyLauncher" plugin.

Lastly, if your files are in your.package.components, or
your.package.pages, or are .tml files then they should load
automatically without a jetty restart.  Other kinds of code aren't
loaded by the same classloader, so the change-aware loading doesn't
happen.  So if you change your model objects, for example, you'll have
to restart.  It's just a limitation of the class-loader layout of T5.

Christian.

RE: new user help required

Posted by Jonathan Barker <jo...@gmail.com>.

If you are running using the jetty launcher in Eclipse, your templates and
page and component classes should be automatically reloading.  I'm not sure
if it's the same running through maven.

As I understand it, JettyLancher puts everything in your Eclipse project's
classpath into your web application's classpath.

Exactly what step in the tutorial did you carry out between "working" and
"broken"?

I use a mix of m2eclipse, and command-line maven, and my classpath
periodically gets screwed up (I haven't figured out why because it always
seems to be things I haven't touched in a while).  Make sure that what you
think is true about your classpath really is true.