Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com> on 2009/01/08 09:00:32 UTC

Updated NodeWatcher...

I've updated based on the last round of feedback regarding ZK operation:
http://pastebin.com/f66898b7

This is what I think the API should look like for event based applications
without any insane requirements.

You write code like:

        NodeListener listener = new NodeListener() {

                public void onData( String path, Stat stat, byte[] data ) {
                    System.out.printf( "event: onData path: %s, version: %s,
data: %s\n", path, stat.getVersion(), new String( data ) );

                }

                public void onKeeperException( KeeperException e ) {
                    System.out.printf( "event: onKeeperException: \n" );
                    e.printStackTrace();
                }

                public void onFailure() {
                    System.out.printf( "event: onFailure\n" );
                }

                public void onConnect() {
                    System.out.printf( "event: onConnect\n" );
                }

            };

        NodeWatcher nWatcher = new NodeWatcher( "server45.example.com:2181,
server46.example.com:2181,server47.example.com:2181", listener );
        nWatcher.watch( "/foo" );

        nWatcher.poll();

.... and then you will receive events back from ZK when the files are
updated.

I believe it handles all race and fail conditions of ZK which was the hard
part since some of these are subtle or not really documented.

I'd be willing to contrib this if others found it useful.

I think we're going to use it as our main interface to ZK since it solves
all the issues I care about.

Kevin

--
Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Updated NodeWatcher...

Posted by Adam Rosien <ad...@rosien.net>.
Thanks. And yes, your chart is really ugly! :)

These are the states of... what? The session? The ZooKeeper object? It
would be nice to include the corresponding API references.

.. Adam

RE: Updated NodeWatcher...

Posted by Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com>.
yeah, i was thinking it should be in forrest, but i couldn't figure out where to put it. that is why i didn't close the issue.

ben

Ben this is great, thanks! Do you want to close out this one and point
to the faq?

Although IMO this should be moved to the forrest docs.

Patrick

Re: Updated NodeWatcher...

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

RE: Updated NodeWatcher...