Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2013/01/24 12:22:12 UTC

Donation of Flexmojos

Hi,

after me telling the other Flexmojos users on the FM Mailinglist that we are working on a brand-new flex plugin for maven. Velo said that he would be willing to donate Flexmojos to Apache. We just should tell him where to sign and what to do (Even if the "doing" would be something that would have to be done by me)

I think it would be a good idea to take this offer. But I wouldn't recommend directly using this code as a directly as the official Flex Plugin. More I would like to add it as some sort of scratchpad project and use the existing parts to build a new plugin and to do things differently where things aren't solved ideally.

The reason for this is that Flexmojos has become a beast to maintain, as it supports Adobe Flex 2 up to 4.6 and with my changes in the Flexmojos 6.x branch it even supports Apache Flex 4.8 and 4.9. Currently you need about 8 complete FDKs to have the Testsuite working and the mixing of group-Ids (com.adobe.flex and org.apache.flex) has made everything even worse.

The testsuite is full of tests which made sense once, but today it seems impossible to find out what they were initially meant to test. Usually when adding support for a new FDK the testsuite had errors and I simply made them pass again. I would like to setup a clean testsuite that has a more clean structure AND has documented Tests to avoid problems like this in the future.

Flexmojos has grown more and more over the years making it one monolithic plugin. Everybody using IntelliJ will probably have noticed one problem that is related to this ... IntelliJ keeps on complaining about no storagePass property being configured. This property is mandatory for creating signed Air application, and therefore is a required property, but for normal Flex application it is optional. Splitting up everything into separate mojos would make a lot of stuff easier.

The next thing is that I would like to completely overwork the Test-support. Currently Flexmojos opens a set of sockets and compiles a dedicated testrunner SWF to connect to these sockets. There have been quite some problems with this. I would therefore like to change this that the swf is served by a mini-webserver (20 LOC) and simply communicates with a rudimentary webservice on the same port.

In the TestSupport I am also thinking about using the Flex Log-Framework to support several concurrent streams of log-data and provide the means to save the log output together with the test-results. Currently debugging tests is pretty nasty.

Last not Least I think with a new plugin we could optimize tool support much better by including the Tool vendors in the process (I'm just thinking about the copy-resources problems with IntelliJ).

What do you think?

Chris

Re: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.
A godsend +1

Re: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by James Roland Cabresos <j....@gmail.com>.

Re: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by Jose Barragan <jo...@codeoscopic.com>.

Re: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
+1 as well to Chris's plans.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by Patrick Heinzelmann <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by John Cunliffe <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.

--
regards,
Roland

AW: AW: AW: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
The plugin skeleton is already there ... in flex-utils.

I guess starting on the main mojos "compile" would be best. But I think I would need to start this as it's a pretty tricky thing and I would let a lot of inspiration flow from flexmojos into it. As soon as the compile mojo is done, there are about 10-15 differnt little helpers needed (Test Source Prepare, Test-Runner, Flash Sandbox Registration, ...)

Unfortunately I'm currently working on getting the one plugin we have (Flexmojos) running with falcon ... as soon as that's done I would like to have FlexPMD and BLazeDS out of the door. Perhaps then I could do the Falcon Antlr4 + JBurg2 update ... then I was planning on working on the plugin (After all ... we currently do have a working solution)

Chris

Posted by Gautam Pandey <gk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Gautam Pandey <gk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 3:35 AM, christofer.dutz@c-ware.de <
christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:

> So ... does this have any impact on the plans to donate? Is it now harder
> to donate or does it make stuff even easier?

To my knowledge the current licensing strategy of the product has no
bearing on its donation. My assumption is that, by donating it, Velo
asserts that he has intellectual property rights to the software, and he's
passing those rights on to Apache. Apache can then relicense the software
if/when we get ready to release it.

Greg

AW: AW: AW: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Ok ... I asked Velo about the licenses ... initially FM was GPL ... he changed it to Apache but changed it back to GPL because " cause at the time changing to ASL wasn't real" (Don't quite know what he meant with this ... guess he simply changed the license to Apache without doing the necessary housekeeping so he changed it back again).

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: AW: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:39 AM, christofer.dutz@c-ware.de <
christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:

> Well I think there never was a real formal process at Flexmojos ... at
> first you sent Velo patches and he applied them and after going to Githup
> all was handled by Pull requests from other users Repos.

Obviously IANAL, but my gut feeling is that people knew they were
contributing to Velo's project, essentially giving him the code to do what
he wants with it. I think an ideal situation would be to track down the
contributors and get agreement from them, but that's not practical. Let's
give it a day or so and see if someone else chimes in. If not, I'd suggest
that Velo has the rights to contribute the code and let's go through the IP
Clearance process if he's willing to do that.

Greg

Re: AW: AW: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/24/13 9:39 AM, "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>
wrote:

> Well I think there never was a real formal process at Flexmojos ... at first
> you sent Velo patches and he applied them and after going to Githup all was
> handled by Pull requests from other users Repos.
IANAL, but it might be tricky to get it donated without going back and
asking the author of every change for permission.

It appears that FlexMojos is already under Apache license.  Was it always
under Apache?  This may mean that any contributors should know they are
granting certain rights to their code.

However, if your goal is not to actually work on it, but borrow parts of it
for your new Apache Flex Maven code, it might be already allowed by the
Apache license.  I think you may have to do it by copying from where it
lives now and not copy entire files into our SVN.  But we should make sure
of that before you start doing that.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

AW: AW: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

AW: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Well I too have the rights to publish stuff there, so I could do the releasing. I Guess this would not be problematic.

Chris

Will FM continue to be pushed to the same maven repo ? in this case the Velo's rights have to be transmitted as well ?

-Fred

RE: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Re: AW: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

AW: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Re: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.

AW: Donation of Flexmojos

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Yeah ... the problem is ... could someone please write down what would be needed?
- Which agreements have to be signed?
- How is the code actually donated? (Jira Issue with 60MB attachment?)
- What steps have to be done before the code is allowed to be added to the Apache code repo (Headers, Package Names, Artifact IDs? And does his have to happen also for "scratchpad code"?)

Chris

--
regards,
Roland