Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Christopher Tubbs <ct...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/10 00:02:37 UTC

Re: Merging from 1.4 to trunk

I would say that it'd be nice if all changes in older branches were
also merged to newer branches... this keeps things linear, and helps
ensure no bug regressions (because all fixes in older versions can be
merged to newer versions, even if they don't apply). So, I would say
yes, the entire tree should be merged... for documentation purposes at
least. This means you might want to merge branch/src/core to
trunk/core, and then do a superficial merge (resolve conflicts, revert
changes, commit merge metadata only) from branch/ to trunk/ to ensure
the whole tree is documented as merged (assuming it was previously
fully merged before your changes).

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Right, I wasn't sure if there was guidance as to whether one should always
> make sure the entire tree is merged, or if merging of single changes is
> acceptable (assuming someone else will come by later and make sure dangling
> fixes aren't left in 1.4).
>
> On 09/09/2012 04:44 PM, Christopher Tubbs wrote:
>>
>> It seems to me that you can merge directly from branch/src/core to
>> trunk/core, or from branch/src/server to trunk/server. That, of
>> course, assumes you're only merging changes isolated to a single
>> submodule that was previously in src/
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Josh Elser<jo...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Looking back at my dev@accumulo history, Billie gave some guidance on how
>>> make subversion place nicely with the change from /src/$module to
>>> /$module
>>> between 1.4 and trunk. http://accumulo.apache.org/source.html says to
>>> consult dev@accumulo for instructions.
>>>
>>> Is Billie's guidance below still the best way to get around this?
>>> Manually
>>> resolving the conflicts every time seems like a pain, but if that's how
>>> it
>>> is, so be it.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>>> from 1.4 to trunk; then take the list of revisions merged and merge those