Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by James Cooper <jw...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/01/31 18:57:22 UTC

Summary of state of serialization

Here is the situation as I understand it. For the purposes of SOAP RPCs

1. You can serialize objects which have set and get methods and a
no-argument constructor, using the BeanSerializer.
2. Some basic Java objects are registered already, but many are not, or are
not wokring well yet, notably Vector.
3. Most more complex objects from Java libraries or your own design require
that you write your own serializer.
4. There does not seem to be any documentation available on how you would
write such a serializer.

Please correct me if I am wrong. If there is indeed some place to learn
about writing serializers, please let me know.

Thanks,

James W. Cooper
Advanced Information Retrieval and Analysis
IBM T J Watson Research Center
jwcnmr@watson.ibm.com
http://flahdo.watson.ibm.com/
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/j/jwcnmr/