Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Faine, Mark" <Ma...@msfc.nasa.gov> on 2005/03/30 16:34:15 UTC

Tomcat 5/Apache 2 in-process

Has anyone succeeded in getting Tomcat 5 to run in-process with Apache 2
using mod_jk?  Does anyone know of a howto on this?  I've read the docs,
I've searched the web, I have it working using AJP13 but I have had no luck
on getting it to work in-process.  I don't even know where to start.

Thanks,
-Mark

Re: Tomcat 5/Apache 2 in-process

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
Faine, Mark wrote:
> Has anyone succeeded in getting Tomcat 5 to run in-process with Apache 2
> using mod_jk?  Does anyone know of a howto on this?  I've read the docs,
> I've searched the web, I have it working using AJP13 but I have had no luck
> on getting it to work in-process.  I don't even know where to start.

Forget the in-process.
The JNI connector is deprecated, and the reasons are many.
On of the major is that it can work only on WIN32 Apache and IIS.
Also bringing JVM in the same address space as web server, makes
you server unusable in case of OutOfMemory errors, etc...

There is a project called tomcat-native that will eventually bring
faster connections to WS<->TC by using unix sockets or windows named
pipes, and still offer the process isolation.

Regards,
Mladen.