Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Benjamin Reed <br...@apache.org> on 2011/03/02 18:55:05 UTC

[DISCUSS] move hedwig/bookkeeper to subproject

i wanted to start a discussion about making hedwig and bookkeeper a
subproject. (actually pat started the discussion last month in general
about all of the contrib projects.) there are three questions, in my
mind, that we need to answer to move forward:

1) should it be a hedwig/bookkeeper subproject, or should there be two
separate projects? we need to build a developer community and i'm
wondering if we should try to build a single dev community or two. the
relationship is a bit asymmetrical: hedwig depends on bookkeeper, but
not visa-versa. i'm inclined to say we do a hedwig subproject and
include bookkeeper with it, but i don't feel strongly.

2) should we propose a subproject to zookeeper or to incubator? i'm a
bit more inclined to propose a zookeeper subproject simply because it
fits well with the zookeeper community, but it does introduce a bit
more overhead to the zookeeper PMC.

3) do we have the developer interest to make it happen in the first
place? i know we can get at least 3 initial committers from yahoo!,
but projects should be represented by multiple companies. (the goal is
at least 3.) so, is there interest in working on the project from
others?

please comment. these are all open issues, so opinions are what i'm
looking for. if there isn't much discussion, i think that will
implicitly answer 3 :)

thanx
ben

Re: [DISCUSS] move hedwig/bookkeeper to subproject

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Benjamin Reed <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> i wanted to start a discussion about making hedwig and bookkeeper a
> subproject. (actually pat started the discussion last month in general
> about all of the contrib projects.) there are three questions, in my
> mind, that we need to answer to move forward:
>
> 1) should it be a hedwig/bookkeeper subproject, or should there be two
> separate projects? we need to build a developer community and i'm
> wondering if we should try to build a single dev community or two. the
> relationship is a bit asymmetrical: hedwig depends on bookkeeper, but
> not visa-versa. i'm inclined to say we do a hedwig subproject and
> include bookkeeper with it, but i don't feel strongly.

IMO both hedwig and bk should eventually be separate, distinct
projects on their own. This will allow communities to form around them
that are focused on their goals. Additionally it would allow us to
focus on building the zk community. An analogy could be made to
hadoop/hbase, or hadoop/pig&hive, or felix/karaf (or hadoop/zk),
etc...

> 2) should we propose a subproject to zookeeper or to incubator? i'm a
> bit more inclined to propose a zookeeper subproject simply because it
> fits well with the zookeeper community, but it does introduce a bit
> more overhead to the zookeeper PMC.

Pretty much everything that would be required in the incubator would
be done as a sub. As you mention, as a sub we (zk community) would be
on the hook to mentor them. The incubator has more experienced
oversight than we could bring to bear, they also have many more hands
than we do.

Granted, in each of the examples I gave earlier the projects did start
as subs...

> 3) do we have the developer interest to make it happen in the first
> place? i know we can get at least 3 initial committers from yahoo!,
> but projects should be represented by multiple companies. (the goal is
> at least 3.) so, is there interest in working on the project from
> others?

That's one of the things the incubator is for though, to build the
initial community.

> please comment. these are all open issues, so opinions are what i'm
> looking for. if there isn't much discussion, i think that will
> implicitly answer 3 :)

:-)

Patrick

Re: [DISCUSS] move hedwig/bookkeeper to subproject

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I tend to agree that we should do one at a time, and it is fine with
me to have bookkeeper going out first.

On the discussion of Incubator vs. ZK sub-project, I don't see much
different except for the PMC. If I understand the incubator scheme
correctly, they have one PMC responsible for the oversight of
incubator projects. Since we know the ZooKeeper PMC well and some of
us are actually members of it, it seems more natural to me to stick
with the ZK PMC instead of moving to a different PMC. Consequently, my
current preference is ZK sub-project. Pat also pointed out that the ZK
umbrella is broad enough to accommodate BK/Hedwig according to the
Apache board resolution that established the project.

-Flavio

On Mar 16, 2011, at 11:14 AM, Ivan Kelly wrote:

> I agree about the separation of bookkeeper and hedwig. They solve
> very different problems, so lumping them together feels clunky.
> Perhaps bookkeeper could be moved out of zookeeper first, leaving
> hedwig in until there's more community interest in it.
>
> -Ivan
>
> On 15 Mar 2011, at 23:58, Dhruba Borthakur wrote:
>
>> I am interested in contributing to the bookkeeper code. It would be
>> nice to
>> have a community around it. An incubator proposal sounds good, but
>> the
>> zk-subproject should also work well. It woud be nice to separate
>> out hedwig
>> and bookkeeper since they have quite different functionality.
>>
>> -dhruba
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Mahadev Konar <ma...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I like the idea of BookKeeper/Hedwig being subprojects.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> mahadev

>>> for

>>> hdfs
>>> bookkeeper
>>> bookkeeper

>>> system

>>> For

>> --
>> Connect to me at http://www.facebook.com/dhruba

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

fpj@yahoo-inc.com
direct +34 93-183-8828

Posted by Benjamin Reed <br...@apache.org>.
i think we need to move both of them out of contrib. they are just
languishing there. i agree that they could be separate projects, but
they are closer than may appear at a high level. the application that
hedwig was designed for is using it as a write ahead log. like
TeaKeeper shows often there is a requirement to both log and broadcast
changes. In some sense we have this continuum: BookKeeper (single
writer WAL), TeaKeeper (single writer WAL with broadcast), Hedwig
(multiple writer WAL with broadcast). Hedwig is also tightly
integrated with BookKeeper. The development community is also tightly
integrated. i think there are valid reasons for doing an incubator
project or for doing separate subprojects, but i think the best option
for now would be to do a subproject under zookeeper (called either
hedwig or bookkeeper) that would host both code bases.

ben

Posted by Ivan Kelly <iv...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Dhruba Borthakur <dh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo-inc.com>.
[...]

option compared to incubator, unless we are able to find a project lead.

-Flavio

On Mar 2, 2011, at 6:55 PM, Benjamin Reed wrote:

> i wanted to start a discussion about making hedwig and bookkeeper a
> subproject. (actually pat started the discussion last month in general
> about all of the contrib projects.) there are three questions, in my
> mind, that we need to answer to move forward:
>
> 1) should it be a hedwig/bookkeeper subproject, or should there be two
> separate projects? we need to build a developer community and i'm
> wondering if we should try to build a single dev community or two. the
> relationship is a bit asymmetrical: hedwig depends on bookkeeper, but
> not visa-versa. i'm inclined to say we do a hedwig subproject and
> include bookkeeper with it, but i don't feel strongly.
>
> 2) should we propose a subproject to zookeeper or to incubator? i'm a
> bit more inclined to propose a zookeeper subproject simply because it
> fits well with the zookeeper community, but it does introduce a bit
> more overhead to the zookeeper PMC.
>
> 3) do we have the developer interest to make it happen in the first
> place? i know we can get at least 3 initial committers from yahoo!,
> but projects should be represented by multiple companies. (the goal is
> at least 3.) so, is there interest in working on the project from
> others?
>
> please comment. these are all open issues, so opinions are what i'm
> looking for. if there isn't much discussion, i think that will
> implicitly answer 3 :)
>
> thanx
> ben

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

fpj@yahoo-inc.com
direct +34 93-183-8828

phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301