Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2017/12/01 02:41:30 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Public Beta for 4.2

I like it. I already have Linux, Windows and macOS 4.2.0-dev builds available
(http://home.apache.org/~jim/AOO-builds/ <http://home.apache.org/~jim/AOO-builds/>) for some langs

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 12/1/2017 4:51 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I went ahead and copied the 4.1.4 page and created:
>
>     https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.5 <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.5>
>
> Of course, it needs to be further cleaned up. I can RM if that's OK
> with everyone.
I have added the Release Notes page from the template at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.5+Release+Notes.
I believe that you are the best person for RM for this.

Regards
Keith

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> I went ahead and copied the 4.1.4 page and created:
>>      https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.5
>> Of course, it needs to be further cleaned up. I can RM if that's OK
>> with everyone.
>
> Fine with me, let's keep unchanged everything that worked well for
> 4.1.4! Note: this includes the fact that Matthias (if available)
> should produce the Windows builds, since we've discovered with 4.1.4
> that build issues are arcane to find at times, and we know that
> Matthias' Windows builds worked well for 4.1.4.

Yes, I am available... ;-)

Regards, Matthias

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 01.12.2017 um 22:51 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> I went ahead and copied the 4.1.4 page and created:
>
>      https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.5 <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.5>
>
> Of course, it needs to be further cleaned up.

thanks for this. In the meantime I've also done some changes.

> I can RM if that's OK with everyone.

Yes, please. :-)

Marcus

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
> On Dec 1, 2017, at 9:35 AM, Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> wrote:
>
> Switching positions, the last time we discussed release planning, 11/22, Damjan needed a month or two to finish PostgreSQL driver work before he would recommend releasing 4.2.0. That seems more like early next year, rather than early December
>
> I am not sure we should wait that long before 4.1.5-GA.

I agree w/ that.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Public Beta for 4.2

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
Switching positions, the last time we discussed release planning, 11/22,
Damjan needed a month or two to finish PostgreSQL driver work before he
would recommend releasing 4.2.0. That seems more like early next year,
rather than early December

I am not sure we should wait that long before 4.1.5-GA.

On a personal note, I will be busy and/or traveling from early January
until mid-March. My AOO activity will be limited.

On 12/1/2017 5:42 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I also like that we announce 4.1.5-GA at the same time we announce 4.2.0-B1.
>
> Should we clone the 4.1.4 release Wiki page (to create a 4.1.5) and
> start keeping track there?
>
>> On Dec 1, 2017, at 8:18 AM, Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> wrote:
>>
>> Remember we also have the 4.1.5 branch, which is a lower risk solution to some 4.1.4 regressions.
>>
>> I think it is time to decide whether to release it, and if so, what the timing should be relative to the start of the 4.2 beta test. There is something to be said for a single announcement so that we can explain the relationship.
>>
>> On 12/1/2017 5:13 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> I see that Pat has committed the security patches to trunk, which is fantastic!
>>> Maybe we should take the next few business days and go thru Bugz
>>> and see what, if anything, would be low-risk patches to trunk and
>>> pencil in, say, Dec 7th as a "code freeze" date for builds...
>>> I can provide builds for all 4 platforms.

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] Public Beta for 4.2

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On 12/02/2017 04:03 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 01/12/2017 Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> I see that Pat has committed the security patches to trunk, which is
>> fantastic!
>> Maybe we should take the next few business days and go thru Bugz
>> and see what, if anything, would be low-risk patches to trunk and
>> pencil in, say, Dec 7th as a "code freeze" date for builds...
>
> Someone here is forgetting that the biggest chunk of work for 4.2.0 is
> with localization. We need to fix the code -> Pootle -> code process and
> this won't be trivial at all since we have scarce documentation, little
> knowledge and a half-broken situation in Pootle when the last import was
> done at some unspecified time. It is not impossible of course, but it
> does need some serious work.

+1...this is a BIGGIE for 4.2.0 in my mind.

> So you can provide all the builds you wish, but I would expect that most
> of them display localization issues and a localization cycle in 40+
> languages usually takes a couple months (once we have fixed the process).
>
> I'm absolutely in favor of a public beta, well publicized and clearly
> marked as beta (with its own splash screen etc). This is not the point.
> Point is, if you want something out in 2017 then English+kid languages
> will be enough, and please call it Alpha or Beta-1 or something that
> makes it clear that there will have to be another Beta in a few months
> with working localized versions.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

MzK

"Don't you know that it's worth
  every treasure on earth
  To be young at heart."
               -- song, "Young at Heart"

Re: [PROPOSAL] Public Beta for 4.2

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Jim -

Works and fixes both 4.1.4 bugs on both 10.7.5 and 10.12.6.

Seems to require Java 6 for Base to work on 10.7.5.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
> Am 02.12.2017 um 14:39 schrieb Marcus:
>>> Despite of the name it could be the icon of the dmg file? I don't
>>> know where this icon set is visible... ;-)
>>>
>>> Apart from that: +1 for a public beta.
>>>
>>> But we should build "real" beta builds, with the appropriate
>>> naming/graphics:
>>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-420-Beta/About%20OpenOffice%20Beta%204.2.0.png
>>>

>> oh yes, good hint. IMHO the splash screen and start center graphic
>> should show clearly that this is a beta release. Plus different
>> filenames for the installation files.
>
> That is all handled by building for target "openofficebeta"
> (sdkoobeta/ooobetalanguagepack).

oha, the last beta is bloody long ago that I've forgotten that this
build target already exists. ;-)

Marcus

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Am 02.12.2017 um 15:56 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> Thx... Look like packager-list is the easiest way.

This is my list (only Windows):
https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-420-Beta/aoo-build-pack-beta.lst

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Am 02.12.2017 um 14:39 schrieb Marcus:
>> Despite of the name it could be the icon of the dmg file? I don't
>> know where this icon set is visible... ;-)
>>
>> Apart from that: +1 for a public beta.
>>
>> But we should build "real" beta builds, with the appropriate
>> naming/graphics:
>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-420-Beta/About%20OpenOffice%20Beta%204.2.0.png
>>

> oh yes, good hint. IMHO the splash screen and start center graphic
> should show clearly that this is a beta release. Plus different
> filenames for the installation files.

That is all handled by building for target "openofficebeta"
(sdkoobeta/ooobetalanguagepack).

I am just uploading a fresh Beta build for Windows:

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
I agree with the flow in the second paragraph.

As an additional note, betas are not releases, and will be described as
being experimental. We can make up any process we like for deciding to
make one available to beta testers.

When we think we have a production-ready beta, and build a release
candidate derived from it, we have to follow the Apache release vote
process, including at least three PMC members doing builds on machines
we control etc.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 04/12/2017 Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Say we release 4.1.5 and that build number is 9799. We then
> release start doing betas and RCs for 4.2.0 and use 9800,
> 9801 and 9802. We then find out we need to release a 4.1.6.
> Is that BUILD number now 9803?

This is an interesting scenario. The way it has worked so far are:

1. Only one development line is active.

2. For any stable release, the build number is higher than the previous
release.

3. The update system, based on your version (not build number), tells
you the build number and the URL of the latest available version. I am
fairly sure -but can't double-check now- that if the reported build
number is higher than the build number of the version you are currently
using, the update is triggered (so you see the "Updates available"
notification).

Now, can it work if we break assumption 1?

We are not interested in update URLs for Beta releases.

Having to release, say, a 4.1.6 when we already have 4.2.0-RC1 out is
really an edge case. Still, if this happens, I would:
- Just update the build number as you suggest
- Pay attention to the update feeds to avoid that feeds for 4.2.0 report
the existence of 4.1.6.

This would need a lot of care and future maintenance though, so my best
advice is: just keep supporting one development line and once we release
4.2.0-RC1 don't look back. At that point, don't release any 4.1.x
releases any longer.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Public Beta for 4.2

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org>.
Hi Jim, all

> I do have a question about the BUILD number...
>
>     Say we release 4.1.5 and that build number is 9799. We then
>     release start doing betas and RCs for 4.2.0 and use 9800,
>     9801 and 9802. We then find out we need to release a 4.1.6.
>     Is that BUILD number now 9803?

Wouldn't it be possible for the Build number to make some sense?

It would be much easier if build number was related to the actual version? How about Build 41510 for 4.1.5 RC1, 41520 for RC2, etc? To make sure the build is greater than 9800 I added a 5th digit that could even be used for something else...

This applies also to other version numbers in files

https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=126603

Just my 2 (non-dev) cents

Re: [PROPOSAL] Public Beta for 4.2

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 04.12.2017 um 13:11 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> Good to know! Thx.
>
> I do have a question about the BUILD number...
>
> Say we release 4.1.5 and that build number is 9799. We then
> release start doing betas and RCs for 4.2.0 and use 9800,
> 9801 and 9802. We then find out we need to release a 4.1.6.
> Is that BUILD number now 9803?

in the past we have increased the build ID with every build that was
done; regardless if it was successful at the end or which branch was
build. I was a kind of total general consecutive number.

Of course we can change this behavior in a way that is better suited for
us nowadays.

Marcus

>>> Agreed... Right now we have:
>>> RSCVERSION=420
>>> RSCREVISION=420m1(Build:9800)
>>> BUILD=9800
>>> LAST_MINOR=m1
>>> SOURCEVERSION=AOO420
>>> We could bump BUILD and LAST_MINOR for each Beta, which
>>> messes up our release numbering, or maybe we use
>>> something like
>>> RSCVERSION=420
>>> RSCREVISION=420b1(Build:9800)
>>> BUILD=9800
>>> LAST_MINOR=b1
>>> SOURCEVERSION=AOO420

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Good to know! Thx.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Am 03.12.2017 um 10:14 schrieb Marcus:
> Am 02.12.2017 um 23:21 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>>> On Dec 2, 2017, at 8:39 AM, Marcus <marcus.mail@wtnet.de
>>> <ma...@wtnet.de>> wrote:

>>> oh yes, good hint. IMHO the splash screen and start center graphic
>>> should show clearly that this is a beta release. Plus different
>>> filenames for the installation files.
>>>

>> Here are the results on macOS:
>
> that looks great. On the start center it's a bit different. "beta"
> should be aligned with the productname/version like for the splash screen.

These are the original graphics from 2014...

Technically seen there is no way to put the "beta" behind the product name:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/trunk/main/default_images/framework/res/beta/backing.png

But I am working on that for a while and I would like to propose a
"redesign" of the Start Center:
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127158#c15

Of course this would include a nicer version for beta builds.

Regards, Matthias

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.