Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Nick Airey <Ni...@citria.com> on 2000/10/05 13:56:49 UTC

Info for new developers?

Hello everyone,

I am new to struts, and fairly new to JSP. I have a working struts
environment on my PC, and I have read the users guide and looked at the
example application.

Are there any resources for people like me who are just starting?

My specific problem at present is that I have been able to compile the
example application using JBuilder, but when trying to run it, I get the
nasty error message below. Any help would be appreciated.

Finally, is there a web archive of the mailing lists?

Location: /struts-example/logon.jsp
Internal Servlet Error:

javax.servlet.ServletException: org.apache.struts.util.MessageResources

	at
l.java:386)

	at
_0002flogon_0002ejsplogon_jsp_9._jspService(_0002flogon_0002ejsplogon_jsp_9.
java:339)

	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:126)

	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
va:174)

	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:261)

	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:369)

	at

	at

	at
onnectionHandler.java:160)

	at
)

	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Root cause:
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.struts.util.MessageResources

	at
org.apache.struts.taglib.MessageTag.doStartTag(MessageTag.java:357)

	at
_0002flogon_0002ejsplogon_jsp_9._jspService(_0002flogon_0002ejsplogon_jsp_9.
java:68)

	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:126)

	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
va:174)

	at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:261)

	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:369)

	at

	at

	at
onnectionHandler.java:160)

	at
)

	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

If you are not the addressee of this confidential e-mail and any
attachments, please delete it and inform the sender; unauthorised
redistribution or publication is prohibited. Views expressed are those of
the author and do not necessarily represent those of Citria Limited.

Re: Info for new developers?

Posted by Robert Leland <Ro...@freetocreate.org>.
(Maybe something like this should go in an Appendix ?)
Place your resources with your .class files.

I am using JBuilder 4 w/o problem, also I used JBuilder 3.5 following
the
article posted on the Borland web site.

I setup a source tree that look like:

Point Context here ->    Application
                                   /                    \
                            WEB-INF               gov
                            /              \                        \
                    classes          lib(struts.jar)            faa

/                                                         \

gov                                                           project
(.java files)
              /
          faa
          /
        project (.class files, Application.Resources)

WEB-INF also has the struts.jar, tag libraries etc. As the struts
install directions
state.

-Rob