Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by wi <ic...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/10 22:09:00 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_cache configuration issue

Hi all

We've made progress with our caching situation. However, we've discovered a
problem when caching for urls containing query strings.

When the url does not contain a query string, the object is cached as
expected, and the debug logging supports this. On the other hand, when the
url contains a querystring, it is not cached, and we get the following
logging:

 [debug] mod_cache.c(509): cache:
/users/123/games/360/headshot?test-token=testing not cached. Reason: Query
string present but no expires header

We aren't able to modify the backend server to provide an expires header, so
we tried to use the CacheIgnoreQueryString On option in the cache
configuration. Now we get the following error on startup:

Invalid command 'CacheIgnoreQueryString', perhaps misspelled or defined by a

This seems strange, since the server reports:

Server version: Apache/2.2.4 (Unix)
Server built:   May  3 2007 13:07:14

Which, as I understand it, should support this configuration. mod_cache,
mem_cache and disk_cache were built as shared objects, so they don't show up
on the httpd -l, but they are present in the modules directory. I've found
google items on CacheIgnoreQueryString from January this year, so I imagine
it must be a standard part of the sources we built.

Any ideas?

Also, if anyone has any ideas about how to add an expires header (we don't
have mod_headers compiled into the server) I'd like to hear.

Thanks!
Wayne

--
2X7 -> %A-3+ -> %K-7+ -> %9-?+ -> %Q-8 -> ?9-?9+

Re: [users@httpd] mod_cache configuration issue

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 8/11/07, wi <ic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Once again, thanks for the reply!
>
> We've decided that we need the CacheIgnoreQueryString ability enough to go
> with the current source of the server. We built it last night per the
> developer instructions and have been testing it all day. It works well, so
> we're going into production with it.
>
> Is there anything we should be aware of when going live with a version like
> this? I want to have a handle on the potential gotchas so that we can remedy
> them as soon as they occur.

As long as you are talking about the 2.2.x branch and not the trunk,
the changes from 2.2.4 are relatively confined. (There are multiple
development branches: one for the current release (2.2) and one for a
future release with more significant changes (trunk or 2.3).)

If you want to be really sure of hearing about any issues as they
arise, the best thing to do is to subscribe to the
dev@httpd.apache.org mailing list.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] mod_cache configuration issue

Posted by wi <ic...@gmail.com>.
Once again, thanks for the reply!

We've decided that we need the CacheIgnoreQueryString ability enough to go
with the current source of the server. We built it last night per the
developer instructions and have been testing it all day. It works well, so
we're going into production with it.

Is there anything we should be aware of when going live with a version like
this? I want to have a handle on the potential gotchas so that we can remedy
them as soon as they occur.

Thanks
Wayne

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.