Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Ryan Lei <ry...@cht.com.tw> on 2013/06/25 05:14:19 UTC

CloudMonkey: Does the JSON output feature work for the 4.1 branch at all?

Dear all,

I have been trying CloudMonkey for a couple of days. Both the 4.1 release
note [1] and wiki [2] mention the JSON output feature, but as I have tried,
non of the following versions support this feature:
* Install via "pip install cloudmonkey" (4.1.0-1)
* Build from 4.1.0 source code (4.1.0-0)
* Build from git 4.1 branch (4.1.1-0)

They still expect the "tabularize = true/false" parameter in
~/.cloudmonkey/config. The new "display = default/json/table" has no effect.

It does work in the master branch, however. Looking at CLOUDSTACK-1875: Add
JSON output into cloudmonkey [3], I think the above behaviors are the old
ways, and this fix is not backported to 4.1, anyway.

If JSON output support is considered a "4.2 new feature," should that be
mentioned in the 4.1 release note? Or as a user, do I have to wait so long
until 4.2 for a stable release of CloudMonkey?

I think it also relates to the recent discussion of moving CloudMonkey out
of the main repo. Then I'm +1 toward that :DD.
CloudMonkey as a tool should be independent of other CloudStack components.
At least, it should have a much shorter release cycle.

[1]
http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.1.0/html/Release_Notes/version-4.1.html#what-new-in-4.1
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/cloudstack-cloudmonkey-cli.html
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-1875

Yu-Heng (Ryan) Lei, Associate Reasearcher
Chunghwa Telecom Laboratories / Cloud Computing Laboratory
ryanlei@cht.com.tw<https://email.cht.com.tw/owa/redir.aspx?C=-wE1FEC3G0SWYpVkiWo8SsDdf3ZqO9AIuAPTzRnFYCUi-z4YljtI_hyVKkNHfn9F1Bn-vUWJnQ4.&URL=mailto%3aryanlei%40cht.com.tw>
or
ryanlei750328@gmail.com

Re: CloudMonkey: Does the JSON output feature work for the 4.1 branch at all?

Posted by Ryan Lei <ry...@cht.com.tw>.
Thanks for the reply. I did follow your discussion. I guess currently these
three methods ensure the latest version:
* Build from the master branch
* The temporary new pypi https://pypi.python.org/pypi/cloudmonkey-latest/
* The possible new git repo
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/cloudstack-cloudmonkey.git

Then the instructions in 4.1.1 Developer's Guide will need to be changed to
avoid confusion for existing users.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
Hi,