Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Emilie White <qu...@msn.com> on 2019/12/21 04:17:40 UTC

Hi!!

Hi!! I have been making a spreadsheet for about 3 months or so now and just today the system told me to put my name and initials and then opened open office and erased all my documents. I tried to go back into my files to open up the document and when I open it up in open office its blank? How do I get all my documents back?

Re: Hi!!

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 04:17:40 +0000
Emilie White <qu...@msn.com> wrote:

> Hi!! I have been making a spreadsheet for about 3 months or so now and just today the system told me to put my name and initials and then opened open office and erased all my documents. I tried to go back into my files to open up the document and when I open it up in open office its blank? How do I get all my documents back?

If the file is missing from OO's /File /Recent documents, it should still be in the directory in which it was originally saved. Start OpenOffice from Programs button, use /File /Open and its navigation buttons to navigate to that directory, select the file and press Open. It will open, and once again appear on Recent Documents, which shows only the last ten files opened.

If the file doesn't open, then you have a more serious situation.  To attempt to recover your file, try the methods outlined in this Tutorial
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038]
 for ways to try and recover any temporary Writer files that may still be on your computer.

If that doesn't help, then as soon as possible do the following:

Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful. You may need to rename any such files to type .ods.

This situation may have arisen because of Windows forcing an update on your computer; it is reported that such updates may cause file loss if they occur when files are open.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>