Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Ronald I. Nutter" <ro...@georgetowncollege.edu> on 2005/06/06 17:19:23 UTC

Anyone seeing Account closed emails ?

Anyone seeing this type of email coming through with a header of
*WARNING* YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT WILL BE CLOSED ?

Didn't know if someone already had a ruleset out before I starting
working on one for my system.

Ron

Ron Nutter                          ron_nutter@georgetowncollege.edu
Network Infrastructure & Security Manager
Information Technology Services                        (502)863-7002
Georgetown College
Georgetown, KY                                            40324-1696

Re: Anyone seeing Account closed emails ?

Posted by Vivek Khera <vi...@khera.org>.
On Jun 6, 2005, at 11:27 AM, Rick Macdougall wrote:

> That is a Mytob virus variant.  Maybe you should install a virus
> scanner like clamav.

I got one before clamav and/or Vexira learned about it...  i think
both are noticing it now.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806

Re: Anyone seeing Account closed emails ?

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.
Vivek Khera wrote:
> and the idiot mail system that did such neutering should be banned
> from the earth.  there's absolutely no reason to strip a virus from
> an email then let the rest of the message through.

Actually, it's occasionally the virus itself that misfires and forgets
to attach a copy of itself.  <g>  I've seen those coming from infected
customer systems to other customer accounts - no outside systems
involved, so I'm certain the virus wasn't just stripped off by our virus
scan.

I *DID*, however, find a customer once that managed to get infected with
a VBscript virus that attached itself to LEGITIMATE email.  They were
upset because their mail didn't seem to be getting through.

-kgd
--
Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!

Re: Anyone seeing Account closed emails ?

Posted by Vivek Khera <vi...@khera.org>.

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Rick Macdougall wrote:

> Ronald I. Nutter wrote:
>
> >Anyone seeing this type of email coming through with a header of
> >*WARNING* YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT WILL BE CLOSED ?
> >
> >Didn't know if someone already had a ruleset out before I starting
> >working on one for my system.
> >

> That is a Mytob virus variant.  Maybe you should install a virus scanner
> like clamav.
>
> Rick

Yes, that text is associated with a Mytob virus variant and if it's
in a "live" virus clamav will kill it.
However I've seen a number of those from "stillborn" virus mis-fires and
clamav will ignore those (IE the text is there but the "payload" is either
truncated or totally missing).
That then, is a job for SA.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: Anyone seeing Account closed emails ?

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@nougen.com>.
Ronald I. Nutter wrote:

>Anyone seeing this type of email coming through with a header of
>*WARNING* YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT WILL BE CLOSED ?
>
>Didn't know if someone already had a ruleset out before I starting
>working on one for my system.

Hi,

That is a Mytob virus variant.  Maybe you should install a virus scanner
like clamav.

Regards,

Rick

Re: Anyone seeing Account closed emails ?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Ronald I. Nutter wrote:
> Anyone seeing this type of email coming through with a header of
> *WARNING* YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT WILL BE CLOSED ?
>
> Didn't know if someone already had a ruleset out before I starting
> working on one for my system.

I'm getting them, but they are all picked up as viruses:

At Sat May 21 02:05:16 2005 the virus scanner said:
   Command: account-details.zip->account-details.pif  Infection: W32/Mytob.DJ@mm
   ClamAV Module: account-details.zip was infected: Worm.Mytob.BT
   Bitdefender: Found virus Win32.Worm.Mytob.AW in file account-details.zip