Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2016/05/01 07:06:58 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Make AsyncFSWAL the default WAL in 2.0

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 6:33 AM, Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What about support for Transparent Data Encryption feature which was
>> introduced in Apache Hadoop 2.6.0 ?
>>

> Transparent: "...(of a process or interface) functioning without the user
> being aware of its presence."
> St.Ack

It's only transparent when the application is making use of the
libraries provided by the project. ;)

HDFS Transparent Encryption is all on the client side:

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.6.4/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/TransparentEncryption.html

Re: [DISCUSS] Make AsyncFSWAL the default WAL in 2.0

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 10:06 PM, Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 6:33 AM, Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> What about support for Transparent Data Encryption feature which was
> >> introduced in Apache Hadoop 2.6.0 ?
> >>

> > Transparent: "...(of a process or interface) functioning without the user
> > being aware of its presence."
> > St.Ack
> >

> It's only transparent when the application is making use of the
> libraries provided by the project. ;)
>
> HDFS Transparent Encryption is all on the client side:
>

> http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.6.4/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/TransparentEncryption.html

Thanks Sean. Makes sense. Sounds easy enough to address going by Duo later
remarks.

There'll be other teething and holes that need plugging after we make the
switch I'd imagine.

St.Ack

Re: [DISCUSS] Make AsyncFSWAL the default WAL in 2.0

Posted by 张铎 <pa...@gmail.com>.
I checked the code. The HdfsFileStatus returned when creating of a file
inside encryption zone will contain a FileEncryptionInfo. DFSClient will
create a CryptoOutputStream which wraps a DFSOutputStream based on the
FileEntryptionInfo.

Let me file issue to implement it. Just another piece of reflection codes...

Thanks.