Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2019/02/12 10:51:28 UTC

Re: Documentation difference between Apache Tomcat 8.0 and 8.5

On 12/02/2019 09:24, Sashidharan Ramamurthy wrote:
> Hi Tomcat User group,
>
> In the "Logging In Tomcat" page, in 8.0 version, there is a link and section detailing how to use Apache log4j instead of "java.util.logging"
>
> But the same content is not visible in 8.5 version.
>
> My query is whether from 8.5 or above, is the capability of using apache log4j disabled and we have to use only JULI? Also, there is no tomcat-juli-adapters library in extras of apache 8.5 version.
>
> We are using tomcat 8.5.33 in our machines.
>
> Kindly answer this please!! Have removed the links where documentation sites are mentioned..

Apache log4j 1.x is not longer supported so the adapters and associated
documentation have been removed from 8.5.x onwards.

If you wish to use Apache log4j 2.x then you should be able to use the
log4j / java.util.logging bridge although that does beg the question why?

Applications (as they always have been) are free to configure any
logging mechanism they wish. Why do you want to change the framework
Tomcat uses for its internal logging?

Mark

Re: Documentation difference between Apache Tomcat 8.0 and 8.5

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
вт, 12 февр. 2019 г. в 17:28, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net>:

> Maybe so you can use syslog to aggregate all your logs? IFAIK, there
> is not a good way to send JULI logging to syslog, but log4j supports it.

Certainly, there exists a way. I have not used it yet though.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2311697/is-there-a-robust-java-util-logging-handler-implementation-of-syslog
http://rusv.github.io/agafua-syslog/

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Documentation difference between Apache Tomcat 8.0 and 8.5

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.