Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Galbreath, Mark" <Ga...@tessco.com> on 2002/09/26 00:42:00 UTC

RE: all this traffic

You could also try unsubscribing when you are going to be away.  Or simply
hold your shift key, highlight the lot, and <delete>.  Why should the list
have to be inconvenienced because you lack management skills?

Posted by Jonas Björnerstedt <jo...@bjornerstedt.org>.
I don't think high traffic lists are efficient for several reasons:

- Questions are repeated, partly because it is hard to find the answers in
the archives.

- One reason why there are a lot of questions is that documentation is
lacking. What I wanted to suggest was one method of collecting answers in a
cheap fashion.

- I realize that pressing delete is easy. The cost of pressing delete
however is missing all the relevant discussions.

- High traffic can also make people rude.

Jonas

Re: all this traffic

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
Don't take this wrong :-)

This is "open-source".  If you find something lacking, you are free to
contribute to it's betterment!  Bugzilla does not discriminate on any
basis, so everyone can submit patches.  Also, there's nothing stopping
someone who wants to compile messages under some index from doing so --
and submitting that to the committers as a contribution :-) (through
Bugzilla - use Bugzilla for anything you want to be submitted for
inclusion -- no matter how small or large.  If you are patching
something, it is best-practice to submit a "diff -u" as an attachment to
the bug)

--
Eddie Bush

Re: [Contributing] Re: all this traffic

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Peter A. J. Pilgrim wrote:

> >   http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved.html
> >

> What is the format of the patches that developers /contributer patches submit?
> Is it a context difference?
>
> diff -c  acme.java  acme.java.orig

The specific instructions on submitting patches are on the following page:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/site/bugs.html

which is accessible from the page I quoted above.  You need to use the
*unified* diff format, via one of the following commands:

  cvs diff -u acme.java >> patchfile.txt

  diff -u acme.java.orig acme.java >> patchfile.txt

and then add the patchfile as an attachment to an enhancement request (or
bug report) in the bug tracking system.  The "cvs diff" version is
preferred, because it unambiguously identifies the version of the source
file that your patch is against -- if you use the regular "diff" command,
please be explicit about which version of the source you are patching.

> --
> Peter Pilgrim

Craig

[Contributing] Re: all this traffic

Posted by "Peter A. J. Pilgrim" <pe...@xenonsoft.demon.co.uk>.
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, adam kramer wrote:
>

>>Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:17:19 -0400 (EDT)
>>From: adam kramer <ad...@monkey.org>
>>Subject: RE: all this traffic
>>

>>There's seems to be alot of resistance to any sort of suggestion that
>>might create better documentation and useability of Struts.
>>

> I can tell you for a fact that there's no resistance from Struts
> *developers* on this.  What we resist, however, is the implication that
> *we* should do all the work. :-)
>
> Struts is an open source project.  The documentation is part of the source
> code, in easily accessible formats (for Struts, it is XML files that are
> post-processed to produce the HTML), and maintained in the same CVS
> archives that the code is.
>
> Users are welcome to submit enhancement requests (for either the code or
> the documentation) via the bug tracking system:
>
>   http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/
>
> and you can easily attach proposed patches to the enhancement requests.
> The general outline of how to create the patches starts at:
>
>   http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved.html

What is the format of the patches that developers /contributer patches submit?
Is it a context difference?

diff -c  acme.java  acme.java.orig

--
Peter Pilgrim         +-----\ +-++----++----+
Java Technologist     |     | | ||    ||    | 'n' Shine
                       |  O  | | ||  --+| ---+
         /\            | ._  / | | \  \ |    |
        /  \           | | \ \ | |+--  || ---+ A new day
       /_  _\  "Up"    | | | | | ||    ||    | is coming
<home page="http://www.xenonsoft.demon.co.uk/" />

RE: all this traffic

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, adam kramer wrote:

> Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:17:19 -0400 (EDT)
> From: adam kramer <ad...@monkey.org>
> Subject: RE: all this traffic
>

> There's seems to be alot of resistance to any sort of suggestion that
> might create better documentation and useability of Struts.

I can tell you for a fact that there's no resistance from Struts
*developers* on this.  What we resist, however, is the implication that
*we* should do all the work. :-)

Struts is an open source project.  The documentation is part of the source
code, in easily accessible formats (for Struts, it is XML files that are
post-processed to produce the HTML), and maintained in the same CVS
archives that the code is.

Users are welcome to submit enhancement requests (for either the code or
the documentation) via the bug tracking system:

  http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

and you can easily attach proposed patches to the enhancement requests.
The general outline of how to create the patches starts at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved.html

> Rather than telling people they have bad management skills, the obvious
> thing to do would be to actually listen and try to find solutions. There
> are lots of messages like Jonas's and there seems to be a core of people
> who are unwilling to listen or to change; it's like a chorus of people
> complaining about a bad interface and a group of developers just saying
> "get used to it buddy, always has been always will!"
>
> just an oh so humble suggestion.

My humble suggestion is to consider becoming part of the solution instead
of part of the complaining horde.  "Patches welcome".

> -adam k.

Craig

RE: all this traffic

Posted by adam kramer <ad...@monkey.org>.