Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by abaijal <ab...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/27 18:47:49 UTC

Issue with Internationalization of Non ascii characters

Hi All

I am new to wicket framework and am trying to implement internationalization
for Russian Characters.

When displaying Russian characters on screen, Wicket rendering displays
garbage values

I am using Wicket 1.2.6 and Weblogic 8.1 SP3

Things I have already tried :
1)HTML pages have charset as UTF- 8 as part of the META tag. <meta
http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
2) The Property files and HTML files have been encoded as UTF-8 files so as
to save any non-ascii characters.
3 ) Checked settings of Browsers. All External internet links with non-ascii
characters work properly in browser. Tried both on IE6 and on Firefox 2.0

My Observations :
1) While trying to display non ascii characters , garbage value appears on
the screen. Apart from pulling data from property file I have also hard
coded non-ascii characters in HTML file. Even hardcoded characters do not
get displayed properly on web browser.
2) The HTML files are present in WEB-INF/classes/.. folders. If I place the
same HTML file outside the WEB-INF folder and put a direct  link  to the
html file, russian characters appear correctly on the screen.
3 ) Using the method getLocale().getLanguage() I tried to display "Russian"
in non-ascii character. This phrase appeared correctly on browser screen.

It seems that when Wicket tries to render the Web-page the non-ascii
characters are getting distorted.

Re: Issue with Internationalization of Non ascii characters

Posted by Vit Rozkovec <wi...@rozkovec.info>.
If you're on Linux,
I have made a little script for conversion, which finds all .properties
files in current directory and subdirectories and encode them proper way:

#!/bin/sh
for file in $(find . -name *.properties); do
    native2ascii $file $file
    echo $file
done

You can find native2ascii also for other platforms

vitek

Posted by Frank Bille <fr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> Thanks for the help.
> From the example I see that I need to convert the text into Unicode
> characters.

If you want to use another charset you can do that as well, both in
your pages and in the properties XML file (at least, that's what I
think). Don't forget to *edit* it in the proper format as well though.

Eelco

Re: Issue with Internationalization of Non ascii characters

Posted by abaijal <ab...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the help.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suad AlShamsi <su...@gmail.com>.
I faced the same problem with Arabic character. I used native2ascii.exe
to encode the property files and I used encoding="utf-8" in my html
pages and then it worked.

Regards,
Suad