Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2013/04/02 01:52:24 UTC

VOTE: hbase-0.95.0RC0, the first "Developer Release" release candidate is available for download and vote

Here is our first 0.95.0 release candidate.  Should we put this out as
0.95.0?

The 0.95.x series of releases are designated "developer releases", a type
of release we have done in the past -- see the 0.89.x series -- where we
let out 'raw', barely-tested product so developers and those generally
interested can get some early exposure to what our next stable release to
follow 0.94.x will look like.  Putting out these 'rough cuts' also helps to
get the feedback started earlier while the release is still baking.

These "developer release" come with no guarantees.  We make no
promises that the next release will be compatible with this one or even that
you will be able to preserve data across the update (This is at an extreme,
and highly unlikely, but could be the case).  No work has been done to make
it so you can migrate from 0.94.x HBase.

In spite of all the caveats above, we still need to vote.  Remember, the bar
is intentionally set lower on these "developer releases"; it will have to be
something pretty bad to block this RC going out.  There should be a new
release
along in a week or two and we can address the offender there.

The release artifacts may be downloaded from:

  http://people.apache.org/~stack/hbase-0.95.0RC0/

Let the vote run for a short time, say, April 3rd.  Take it for a quick
spin.

Over 1500 issues have been closed against 0.95.0.  It is tough pulling out
the highlights but I think most will be interested in big improvements
in Mean Time To Recovery, a revamped metrics, support for hadoop1 and
hadoop2.... the list is long.  For the full list of issues fixed see:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12324094

All feedback is welcome.  We'd be interested in getting feedback on
everything from the packaging, layout, through documentation, UI, and of
course,
any bugs found.

Thanks,
St.Ack

Re: VOTE: hbase-0.95.0RC0, the first "Developer Release" release candidate is available for download and vote

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How will we effectively communicate that this release can eat your computer
> (developer release)? Any pointers from the last 0.89 attempt?

Since Stack figured out the hadoop1, hadoop2 suffix business, how about
adding "-eats-your-data" to the release artifacts?

;)

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-marc@spaggiari.org

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Great work.
>
> How will we effectively communicate that this release can eat your computer
> (developer release)? Any pointers from the last 0.89 attempt?

I can add to the head of this document,
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/HBaseVersions, either a pointer or text
discussing of how 0.95 and how it could eat your brain so be sure to wear
your tin-foil hat before downloading:.  We need to keep up the messaging
too wherever it is mentioned.

Our 0.89 messaging was really effective.  We repeatedly talked of how all
guarantees were off and that you should not run it in production..... and
then fb went and deployed messages on an 0.89 (smile).

> Going to hbase.apache.org -> Downloads -> might directly lead users to
> download 0.95, and play with it. Should we add something to the home page?

Yeah.  Let me do that after we get RC over a vote.   We could put it up and
edit the HEADER.html so flashing warnings but also encouraging folks to try
it and give us feedback.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
Great work.

How will we effectively communicate that this release can eat your computer
(developer release)? Any pointers from the last 0.89 attempt?

Going to hbase.apache.org -> Downloads -> might directly lead users to
download 0.95, and play with it. Should we add something to the home page?

Enis

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-marc@spaggiari.org
> wrote:

> This is huge!
>
> Just looking at the JIRAs is staggering. There is many things I'm
> eager to see on a production release.

I think my list included issues as yet not resolved... let me fix.....

Good on you JM,

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
I also searched for any reference to this directory in the source (and
XMLs, etc.) and was not able to find anything.

My tmp folder got cleaned, and I did not changed any config file.

I have opened HBase-8242 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-8242 ) for that. It seems
to be because of ZK.

If I create the folder manually and chown it to my user, it's working fine.

JM

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> I just tried to start it out of the box and it's failing. It tries
to write on the /var/folders/ directory, which doesn't exist.

I think a failure to launch should sink the RC. :-) Beyond that I'd suggest
crash bugs or recurring ERRORS or data corruption / loss.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: VOTE: hbase-0.95.0RC0, the first "Developer Release" release candidate is available for download and vote

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Hi Stack,

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
This is huge!

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
J2MD, the nifty French-ish duo, at your service.

J-D

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
-1