Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by chad savage <cs...@activeathletemedia.com> on 2006/12/05 07:01:42 UTC

classifying content

Hello All,

I'm doing some research on how to classify documents into pre-defined
categories.
Some methods I have come across are Ontologies, topic maps, url/site
based and simple keyword analysis.
I'm leaning towards topic maps and Ontologies being the strongest and
most documented in theory and in practice.
Does the group have any recommendations on where to start?
Software packages to help develop the owl/rdf files? Protoge?
Any consultancies out there that handle this process?
Downfalls to using these?
And finally, integrating them into nutch/lucene.

Thanks in advance,
Chad

Re: classifying content

Posted by Dennis Kubes <nu...@dragonflymc.com>.
You may also want to look at bayesian statistics, support vector
machines, and machine learning algorithms.

Dennis

Re: classifying content

Posted by kauu <ba...@gmail.com>.

--
www.babatu.com

Re: classifying content

Posted by kauu <ba...@gmail.com>.
hi:
  i don't very be well with nutch, and i think that nutch should classify
the pages after fetching  them  every time  into different place. then u can
search them and display them .

--
www.babatu.com

Re: classifying content

Posted by Shay Lawless <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chad,

I use a focused web crawler called the metacombine project (
http://www.metacombine.org/) to classify the content retrieved during a web
crawl. It implements the Heritrix web crawler from the Internet Archive and
the Rainbow Text Classifier from CMU. Not sure if you can use it to crawl
for multiple categories at once, might take a bit of alteration, I use it to

Re: classifying content

Posted by Eelco Lempsink <le...@paragin.nl>.
Hey Chad,

On 7-dec-2006, at 18:52, chad savage wrote:
> We would like to organize information into a hierarchical category
> system.  It's all general web content(html from the web).
> Yes, there are a number of references to varying techniques on the
> net (scientific papers, theoretical, practical, mind boggling). My
> problem is determining the best method. and of course implementing
> it with my limited nutch/java abilities.  May have to outsource
> most of this.
> Not to mention the many formats for ontologies: owl,rdf,daml, some
> others I am sure I'm missing.

Unfortunately, letting a machine organize information is not a
trivial problem, so if you have no previous experience with it, you
might easily be overwhelmed by all the theories and file formats.
Fortunately, though, you might not need to use such a technique at
all, because often there are other ways to classify text, for example
simple metadata:

> We would like to be able to crawl the web and categorize the pages
> into buckets.  We currently have a number of separate configs for
> nutch all crawling different subsets of our web sites with multiple
> indexes as a start for being able to search separate categories.
> The goal is to have one crawl that can scan all of the websites and
> index the content into these predetermined buckets and keep them in
> one master index.

When you say "our websites" do you mean websites you maintain?  In
that case it could be trivial, depending on your content management
system, to add some extra information to each page about which
'bucket' it should be placed in.

Otherwise, since you apparently have some configurations separating
the different categories, it might be possible to translate that to a
plugin which hooks in as a HtmlParseFilter and attaches some metadata
to your parsed content.

On the wiki you'll find an example using similar techniques.  See
http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/WritingPluginExample

Eelco Lempsink

Re: classifying content

Posted by chad savage <cs...@activeathletemedia.com>.