Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2006/12/11 10:10:33 UTC

[vote] release maven-eclipse-plugin

Hi all,

I would like to propose the release of the maven-eclipse-plugin. This
will bring the eclipse:make-artifacts goal into a non snapshot release.

Regards,
Graham

Re: [vote] release maven-eclipse-plugin

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
some time ago I made all poms created by install-files extend a common
"eclipse" parent pom, with all the common info, Fabrizio reverted it.

On 12/11/06, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [disussion del]
>
> err, this appears to be out of context and I am struggling to work out
> what is being discussed.
> Are there links to the background and what is being solved, or a brief
> summary that could be provided?  Maybe on another thread?

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: [vote] release maven-eclipse-plugin

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
On 12/11/06, Fabrizio Giustina <fg...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 12/11/06, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> > did you finally remove the usage of a parent pom for install-files?
> > that made it easier to add information to all the artifacts than
> > regenerate all poms
>
> yes, at the moment no parent is used. It's a minor change, I could
> turn it on before the release if needed.
>
> Sincerely I still think it's better to have such info into each pom,
> given that a change in the parent pom should mean a new release for it
> and an update of each child (ok, you say you can "fix" it in a single
> place in the repo, but everybody who previously downloaded also a
> single eclipse artifact before will never see that change, since the
> parent pom will never be downloaded again).

but you'd only need to delete the parent to get a new one, instead of
deleting all children poms

> If you put those informations into each pom and change them only for
> different releases (I don't think we should even plan to "enrich"
> already deployed poms) that will be transparent to users.

sometimes is done making sure it doesn't change previous build
behaviour (relocations, license info, urls, scm info, ...)

> Another reason is that the make:artifacts goal was also intended to
> help users in generating/installing artifacts from a local eclipse
> installation to a local maven repository: breaking this by requiring a
> remotely downloaded parent pom doesn't worth this change IMHO.

the parent pom can be in central so they'll get it as soon as they need it

Posted by Fabrizio Giustina <fg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Williams <an...@handyande.co.uk>.
your wish is etc...
plexus-utils 1.4-alpha-1 released :)

Andy

Posted by Fabrizio Giustina <fg...@apache.org>.
Thanks Jason,

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
+1

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Stéphane

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 12/11/06, Fabrizio Giustina <fg...@apache.org> wrote:
[del]
sandbox and shared stuff...

+1 to get a release with all the other stuff that needs doing too.

I've just spent the last 2 days deploying all these snapshots
internally so I can get a reproducible build...

Re: [vote] release maven-eclipse-plugin

Posted by Fabrizio Giustina <fg...@apache.org>.