Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by montefin <mo...@finux.com> on 2000/02/04 08:24:19 UTC

Alrighteethen!

I finally have a reproducible result out of Cocoon.  I also have a
working benchmark Cocoon installation that came as part of Exeter. Now I
can ask some real questions :)

To the best of my knowledge it happened after I set
'wrapper.env.copyall=true' in jserv.properties, although I'd tinkered a
bit with some other parameters. Anyway, I remembered towards the end of
the install doc it said to enter Cocoon.xml. It didn't say where, but
since I, like Toby, have had the most activity out of Cocoon the last
week or so at http://localhost:port#/servlets I entered

http://localhost:port#/servlets/Cocoon.xml

Well, you coulda floored me. Instantly up POPS the Cocoon 1.6.1
Environmental page.

Now I'm not sure that was the right result...but it was a result. And
I'm not at all sure what to try next (BTW it would have been neat to be
able to navigate to other areas from there) but hey, I'm happy.
Especially since, search my system as I might, I could not find a file
named Cocoon.xml anywhere. I love voodoo.

Since I had another Cocoon going on another port, I figured I'd just
change the localhost's port# and see what happened. Sonuvagun, I got my
first FileNotFoundException out of Exeter. Dichotomy...like two people
telling you exactly the opposite thing and you don't know who's lying.

So I play with the Exeter port a bit and when I enter

http://localhost:port#/servlets/org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon

Guess what?

Up POPS Cocoon 1.3.1's Environment page. So I change the portnumber back
to 1.6.1's port and guess what again...another FileNotFoundException,
this time from 1.6.1.

So, I ask you. Who's right? Is there a right? If there is a right, how
would you suggest I adjust to make whichever is wrong, right. Got that?

Right. Oh and one more thing while I have you here. How and where the
heck can I get this xml-stylebook thingie off of CVS. I have tried every
archive I could find...but I am way new in this area of computing as I'm
sure is pretty easy to see.

Anyway, the advice and tips I've gleaned here over the last couple of
weeks helped more than the install and manual.

Thanks again,

montefin

--
In Life Timing is everything; in Linux Permissions is everything.
http://www.montefin.com/~montefin (up 24/7)

Re: Alrighteethen!

Posted by montefin <mo...@finux.com>.
Mike,

Here we go:

http://www.xmls.com

and then

http://www.xmls.com/products/xmlserver/xmlsrvrPricing.html

Re: Alrighteethen!

Posted by montefin <mo...@finux.com>.
Oops!

It 404'd.

I look some more later. If they're still around.

montefin

Re: Alrighteethen!

Posted by montefin <mo...@finux.com>.
Mike,

Re: Alrighteethen!

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.

Re: Alrighteethen!

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.
montefin wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Exeter is an XML middleware that uses Cocoon (in this instance 1.3.1).
>
> I doubt if it has caused trouble. Quite the opposite. I turned to it when I
> could not make head or tails out of the install and operations procedures for
> Cocoon last year.
>
> As a matter of fact, I have used Exeter's Cocoon implementation to work
> through Cocoon-1.6.1's implementation. Their build out and usage documentation
> is excellent -- set up and going in 1/2 an afternoon with no problems in 3
> months.
>
> I'm just trying to evaluate Cocoon for future use and recommendation, and
> basically the documentation is crucial in my opinion.
>
> Just read back over the posts to this mailing list.
>
> I'm glad to see that some folks are committed to improving the documentation
> for Cocoon. To be honest, I would have given up on it months ago, if I hadn't
> had the good experiences I've had with it using Exeter.
>
> montefin
Hey,

I just remember reading on the developers list that Stefano said you will
have trouble with cocoon if you have other installations lying around and or
running.  Actually now that I think about it, there is some problem with the
SUN URLStreamFactory in that there can only be one instance per Virtual
Machine. If you're running Cocoon 1.3 via Exeter, then it's probably using
that one instance and causing problems???

I would try setting it up on a machine that does not have Exeter.  I haven't
had any problems installing Cocoon on my Mac or my Linux servers (although
the Mac JVM makes it incredibly easy to setup java apps with) except for the
usual typos in all  the configurations files. :-)

Mike

Re: Alrighteethen!

Posted by montefin <mo...@finux.com>.
Mike,