Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2009/03/31 16:21:56 UTC

Renaming SlingWebDavServlet? (was: SlingWebDavServlet serves resource not only below /dav?)

(still catching up with my Sling mail ;-)

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Marc Speck <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...You have also my vote if you want to rename
> org.apache.sling.jcr.webdav.impl.servlets.SimpleWebdavServlet. "public class
> SimpleWebDavServlet extends SimpleWebdavServlet" is not very readable and in
> SlingWebDavServlet, there are SimpleWebDavServlet and SimpleWebdavServlet
> that refer to different classes....

I agree that this can be confusing, do people agree about renaming the
Sling servlet, to SlingSimpleWebDavServlet, maybe?

-Bertrand

Re: Renaming SlingWebDavServlet? (was: SlingWebDavServlet serves resource not only below /dav?)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
>> 2009/3/31 Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
>>> I agree that this can be confusing, do people agree about renaming the
>>> Sling servlet, to SlingSimpleWebDavServlet, maybe?

> ...I'm fine with the name change, but what is really the idea of having a
> "Simple" in the name? Especially if this is the only implementation?...

Right, should rather be SlingWebDavServlet then.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Paul Noden wrote:
> 2009/3/31 Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
>
>> I agree that this can be confusing, do people agree about renaming the
>> Sling servlet, to SlingSimpleWebDavServlet, maybe?
>>

> +1

I'm fine with the name change, but what is really the idea of having a
"Simple" in the name? Especially if this is the only implementation?

Regards
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Renaming SlingWebDavServlet? (was: SlingWebDavServlet serves resource not only below /dav?)

Posted by Paul Noden <no...@nodster.co.uk>.
2009/3/31 Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>

> I agree that this can be confusing, do people agree about renaming the
> Sling servlet, to SlingSimpleWebDavServlet, maybe?

+1

Kind Regards,

Paul Noden

Re: Renaming SlingWebDavServlet? (was: SlingWebDavServlet serves resource not only below /dav?)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I have no issue with renaming this servlet for clarity sake, but
> SlingWebDavServlet is already taken ;-)...

Ok, thanks for clarifying, hadn't noticed that.

> ...We could really name SlingSimpleWebDavServlet to indicate it works the
> same as the Jackrabbit SimpleWebDavServlet but it is located in Sling....

Ok sounds good, name's a bit long but no big deal.

Created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-907, I'll do that today.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Bertrand Delacretaz schrieb:
> (still catching up with my Sling mail ;-)
>
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Marc Speck <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...You have also my vote if you want to rename
>> org.apache.sling.jcr.webdav.impl.servlets.SimpleWebdavServlet. "public class
>> SimpleWebDavServlet extends SimpleWebdavServlet" is not very readable and in
>> SlingWebDavServlet, there are SimpleWebDavServlet and SimpleWebdavServlet
>> that refer to different classes....
>
> I agree that this can be confusing, do people agree about renaming the
> Sling servlet, to SlingSimpleWebDavServlet, maybe?

Lets see, there are actually two servlets in the jcr/webdav bundle: The
SlingWebDavServlet (extends SimpleWebDavServlet) is the one which is
registered as a Sling Servlet to handle WebDAV requests to / (root).

Whenever the SlingWebDavServlet is getting ready it creates an instance
of the (Sling) SimpleWebDavServlet (extends Jackrabbit
SimpleWebDavServlet) to handle WebDAV requests at /dav (configurable).
This SimpleWebDavServlet is different from the SlingWebDavServlet in
that it allows access to all workspaces of the repository.

As such the two servlets serve different purposes and cannot (easily) be
merged and should also not be merged because we don't want to have a
single servlet registered in two locations.

So remains the issue of the Sling SimpleWebDavServlet colliding in name
with the Jackrabbit SimpleWebDavServlet.

I have now issue with renaming this servlet for clarity sake, but
SlingWebDavServlet is already taken ;-)

We could really name SlingSimpleWebDavServlet to indicate it works the
same as the Jackrabbit SimpleWebDavServlet but it is located in Sling.

Regards
Felix