Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org> on 2019/01/21 10:24:34 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Apache Unomi to TLP

Hello,

The Apache Unomi podling community has successfully[0] VOTEd[1] to
graduate to a top-level project. Accordingly, I'm bringing the
resolution up for an IPMC VOTE.

The podling vote result was:
Overall: 8 x +1 votes, 0 x -1 votes

7 binding +1 votes: Jean-Baptiste Onofré, Bertrand Delacretaz, Thomas
Draier, Serge Huber, , François Papon, Kevan Jahanshahi, David Griffon
1 non-binding +1 vote: Damien Gaillard

No 0 or -1.

Since entering the Incubator in 2015, the Apache Unomi community has:
   * sent 3984 emails by 88 participants in the mailing lists [2]
   * successfully produced 3 major project releases
   * setup a complete website including project documentation
   * added 3 new committers/PPMC members
   * built a diverse group of committers from multiple different employers
   * had more than 214 JIRA tickets opened with 176 closed
   * completed the project maturity model with positive responses [3]

Here's my non-binding +1.  The VOTE will run for at least 72 hours.

Thanks & best regards,
  Serge Huber.

[0] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/336164cecff397630eb6715004af36770b7ab00b010daa2484167c76@%3Cdev.unomi.apache.org%3E
[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/095d94557746fdd1b8d33f87feab939c70abbf22fd732980a2e7c59e@%3Cdev.unomi.apache.org%3E
[2] https://lists.apache.org/trends.html?*@unomi.apache.org:lte=5y:
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/68d590ef4262f533f485cf360787129e5898a2a45bd2499f9be22703@%3Cdev.unomi.apache.org%3E

Here is the full-text of the draft resolution proposed by the Apache Unomi PPMC:

Establish the Apache Unomi Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to providing a reference implementation of the OASIS Customer
Data Platform specification currently being worked on by the OASIS
Context Server Technical Committee. It provides a high-performance user
profile and event tracking server.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache Unomi Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Unomi Project be and hereby is responsible for
the creation and maintenance of software related to providing a
reference implementation of the OASIS Customer Data Platform
specification currently being worked on by the OASIS Context Server
Technical Committee. It provides a high-performance user profile and
event tracking server; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Unomi" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Unomi
Project, and to have primary responsibility for management of the
projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache Unomi Project;
and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Unomi Project:

 * David Griffon        <dg...@apache.org>
 * Francois Papon       <fp...@apache.org>
 * Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@apache.org>
 * Kevan Jahanshahi     <jk...@apache.org>
 * Serge Huber          <sh...@apache.org>
 * Thomas Draier        <dr...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Serge Huber be appointed to
the office of Vice President, Apache Unomi, to serve in accordance with
and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of
the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Unomi PMC be and hereby is tasked with
the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open development
and increased participation in the Apache Unomi Project; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Unomi Project be and hereby is tasked with the
migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Unomi podling; and
be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Unomi podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
discharged.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Unomi to TLP

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

>> RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Unomi PMC be and hereby is tasked with
>> the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open development
>> and increased participation in the Apache Unomi Project

I also suggest you remove this and just use the default guidelines [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DefaultProjectGuidelines

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Unomi to TLP

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

> [...]

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Unomi podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
discharged.
----

On 21/01/2019 11:46, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> ...I'm bringing the
>> resolution up for an IPMC VOTE...
>
> +1 on graduation, but in the following text (which appears twice as usual):
>
>> ...related to providing a reference implementation of the OASIS Customer
>> Data Platform specification currently being worked on by the OASIS
>> Context Server Technical Committee. It provides a high-performance user
>> profile and event tracking server...
>
> I think "It provides a high-performance user profile and event
> tracking server" is superfluous, we don't want those descriptions to
> be too specific as projects evolve over time.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Unomi to TLP

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi,

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 6:24 PM Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> the office of Vice President, Apache Unomi, to serve in accordance with
> and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of
> the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
> disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Unomi PMC be and hereby is tasked with
> the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open development
> and increased participation in the Apache Unomi Project; and be it
> further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Apache Unomi Project be and hereby is tasked with the
> migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Unomi podling; and
> be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
> Unomi podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter

Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Unomi to TLP

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org>.
Hello all,

This VOTE is closed and passes.  It was open for 14 days (mostly
because of PNS search).

I'll create a separate RESULT thread for the voting details but here's
the summary :

+1 x 17
+1 (binding) x 10
+1 (non-binding) x 7

Thanks, everyone for helping Apache Unomi reach this great milestone.

Regards,
  Serge...

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org>.
Hello Daniel,

Posted by Mohammad Asif Siddiqui <as...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Regards
Asif

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Lionel Liu <li...@apache.org>.
+1(binding)

Thanks,
Lionel

Posted by William Guo <gu...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Hongtao Gao <ha...@gmail.com>.
+1(non-binding)

Posted by Xin Wang <xi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Steve Blackmon <sb...@apache.org>.
+1

Congratulations!

sblackmon@apache.org

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Unomi to TLP

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

Regards
JB

On 31/01/2019 14:46, Serge Huber wrote:
> I assume we can (resume) the voting process. If it's ok to do it here here's my
>
> +1 (non-binding)
>
> Regards,
>   Serge...
>
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 2:39 PM Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Name has been approved. Thanks Mark for doing this quickly.
>>
>> Regards,
>>   Serge...
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 2:10 PM Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok I've created the ticket here:
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-161
>>>
>>> Please let me know if there is more to be done, I've done my best to
>>> make it as extensive as possible.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>   Serge...

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Unomi to TLP

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks Bertrand.

Serge and I will deal with that.

Regards
JB

On 22/01/2019 16:18, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 4:17 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>> ...I think we still have time to launch a PNS, and the idea was to do this
>> as part of the graduation...
>
> Yes that should work - you basically just need to create a ticket at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH and there are
> many examples there.
>
> Details at https://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html
>
> -Bertrand

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Unomi to TLP

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Serge and I had already a discussion about PNS some months ago. We did a
quick search. We only found an existing trademark not related in term of
domain. So we moved forward on the graduation, because we are talking
about that since months now.

I think we still have time to launch a PNS, and the idea was to do this
as part of the graduation.

Who can help us on that front ?

Thanks,
Regards
JB

On 22/01/2019 15:12, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> On 1/22/19 3:09 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 22/01/2019 00:37, Greg Stein wrote:

>>> The "Maturity Model" (MM) is just a thing developed by ComDev peeps.
>>> It has
>>> no bearing within the Foundation, other than as a lens for
>>> individuals to
>>> view projects. That lens is not part of the Incubator, or any other PMC.
>>>
>>> Personally, I do not view the "podling name search" (PNS) as a gate.
>>> That
>>> is another imposition, from outside the Incubator, that has crept
>>> into the
>>> "Must Be Performed(tm)" guidelines for graduation. The Board is the
>>> ultimate arbiter of whether a podling can graduate, and a name search is
>>> informative for them, rather than gating for us [on the IPMC]. If a
>>> podling
>>> wants to be called "Apache Acme", and "gee, there are a lot of Acme
>>> products out there", then that is on the community. Not something for
>>> the
>>> Incubator to demand they change; just something for them to deal with. A
>>> community problem, rather than one for the Incubator or the Foundation
>>> itself.
>>
>> I disagree on that point - as VP Brand I would, wouldn't I ;)
>>
>> If there is an issue with the name (that the PNS would have uncovered)
>> then the likely solution is that the (now graduated) project will have
>> to rename. That has a cost for both the community and the foundation.
>>
>> While in some cases there are clearly no conflicts, in others it is not
>> quite so clear cut. The aim of the PNS is to enable both the podling and
>> the foundation (delegated to the Branding Committee) to decide if the
>> choice of name is acceptable given the degree of risk associated with
>> any potential conflict and the associated costs of a rename should that
>> risk materialise.
>>
>> (There is an assumption here that early renames result in lower costs
>> for both the community and the foundation).
>>
>> As VP Brand I am likely recommend against a podling graduating without a
>> PNS on the basis that it represents an unknown level of risk. The board
>> may approve the resolution anyway but I suspect it would be tabled
>> (delayed) until the following meeting to allow a PNS or something along
>> those lines to take place.
>>
>> As an aside, the policy docs still say a PNS is required to graduate. If
>> this view has changed (I'm not sure it has - I don't recall a
>> discussion) then those docs need updating.
>
> I haven't heard of any policy change either, and with that in mind, I am
> -1 (binding) on graduation till a PNS has been resolved. As Mark stated,
> there are costs involved with name changes, on multiple fronts, and
> making sure that we don't clash is quite important.
>
> With that said, there is plenty of time till the next board meeting, a
> PNS _could_ be done in time for that, and I'd remove my -1. :)
>

>> Mark

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Unomi to TLP

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

> On Jan 21, 2019, at 4:37 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 3:21 PM Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> -0 (binding) - This podling has never completed a suitable podling name
>> search. It seems that people no longer consider that relevant as it is not
>> in the Maturity model and I’m not sure why. It could be because that is
>> ComDev and not the IPMC.
>>

> The "Maturity Model" (MM) is just a thing developed by ComDev peeps. It has
> no bearing within the Foundation, other than as a lens for individuals to
> view projects. That lens is not part of the Incubator, or any other PMC.
>
> Personally, I do not view the "podling name search" (PNS) as a gate. That
> is another imposition, from outside the Incubator, that has crept into the
> "Must Be Performed(tm)" guidelines for graduation. The Board is the
> ultimate arbiter of whether a podling can graduate, and a name search is
> informative for them, rather than gating for us [on the IPMC]. If a podling
> wants to be called "Apache Acme", and "gee, there are a lot of Acme
> products out there", then that is on the community. Not something for the
> Incubator to demand they change; just something for them to deal with. A
> community problem, rather than one for the Incubator or the Foundation
> itself.

I think that the Incubator Mentors to a podling should be responsible for making sure that the prospective TLP is aware that they are responsible for their branding. This means that they need to think about their name whether it is Apache Acme, Apache Coyote or Apache Roadrunner. I think the Board should want to know that the podling also understands what marketing and press are available for the project. In that way we can introduce Neutrality and how to deal with $Co third parties. I want mentors aware, but can affirm that the podling is aware.

Since mentors have voted +1, I will change my VOTE to +1 (binding)

> In summary: reduce the rules. Forget the MM and the PNS. Not Incubator
> problems.

The question then should go to the VP,  Brand regarding PNS (If the TLP/podling has or wants to have a registered trademark) and Comedy about whether they wish to add PNS and other questions to the MM.

Depending on if the IPMC agrees then there is likely some things to clear up with clutch and whimsy about podlings that will make validating a podling graduation easier.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.