Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Sean Ochoa <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/05 18:22:33 UTC

postgis > cassandra?

Can someone tell me how to represent spatial data (coming from postgis) in
Cassandra?

 - Sean

Re: postgis > cassandra?

Posted by Mike Malone <mi...@simplegeo.com>.
It's not really the storage of spatial data that's tricky. We use geojson as
a wire-line format at the higher levels of our system (e.g., the HTTP
API). But the hard part is organizing the data for efficient retrieval and
keeping those indices consistent with the data being indexed. Efficient
multi-dimensional indexing is tricky, but that's what you'll need if you
want to support generic spatial querying (overlaps, contains, interacts,
nearest neighbor, etc).

Re: postgis > cassandra?

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.

Re: postgis > cassandra?

Posted by Sean Ochoa <se...@gmail.com>.
That's a good question, Bill.

--
Sean | M (206) 962-7954 | GV (760) 624-8718

Re: postgis > cassandra?

Posted by William R Speirs <bi...@gmail.com>.