Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Andrea Del Bene <an...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/20 19:56:14 UTC

Improve class hierarchy of package org.apache.wicket.util.crypt

Hi,

Following the work done for WICKET-5756, I thought it would be nice to
have a more flexible and clear hierarchy for cryptography classes in
Wicket 7. I opened WICKET-5768 and I reworked those classes in a
separate branch called WICKET-5768-improve-crypt. The main purpose of my
work is to remove method ICrypt#setKey(final String key) because this
assumes we want to use a string as "secret" key.
Such assumption makes (imho) the adoption of other cipher (AES, 3DES,
etc...) not so natural/intuitive, which of course doesn't mean
impossible: see inner class
UnlimitedStrengthJurisdictionPolicyTest.UnlimitedStrenghtJurisdictionPolicyCrypt.

My changes imply API breaks, but I think it's worthwhile to take this
opportunity and clean the inner API before we freeze master branch for
milestones.

What do you think?

Re: Improve class hierarchy of package org.apache.wicket.util.crypt

Posted by Andrea Del Bene <an...@gmail.com>.
On 24/11/14 21:30, Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> I'd like to release 7.0 final in januari.
>
> Martijn
>
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Andrea Del Bene <an...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> I'd like to release 7.0.0 as soon as possible. To do that I think we should
>> have at least one release of 7.x series without API breaks in it.
>> In my opinion the suggested change is not really needed because no one ever
>> had problems with this. And it is mostly cosmetic one because it is
>> possible to implement custom ICrypt impl without any problems.
>> So I'd prefer if we put this branch on hold. If another API break is really
>> needed for 7.0.0-M5 then merge this branch as well. Otherwise leave it for
>> 8.x.
>>
>> My 2c.

Ok, we can postpone it, no problem!

Andrea.

Re: Improve class hierarchy of package org.apache.wicket.util.crypt

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Del Bene <an...@gmail.com>.
On 20/11/14 19:56, Andrea Del Bene wrote:
> My changes imply API breaks, but I think it's worthwhile to take this
> opportunity and clean the inner API before we freeze master branch for
> milestones.
I meant release candidates.