Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Matt Broadstone <mb...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/29 14:43:22 UTC

link delivery priority

Hi,

I'm trying to set up two concurrent receiver links on the same broker: one
to listen to messages from a queue (e.g. `test.queue`) as a
consumer/worker, another to listen to the same queue but with a
distribution mode of `copy` in order to passively track some information
without corrupting the behavior of the first consumer.  Is this possible?

It seems from preliminary testing that I can't guarantee the order that
these links are created, and therefore if the first receiver picks up the
message it will never be delivered to the passive copy receiver.  I
understand this is sort of a contrived scenario, but I'm not seeing in the
spec how I otherwise might give priority to a given queue. Perhaps qpidd
has some internal means of doing this?

Regards,
Matt

Re: link delivery priority

Posted by Matt Broadstone <mb...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 29/09/16 15:43, Matt Broadstone wrote:
>
>>  I'm trying to set up two concurrent receiver links on the same broker:
>> one
>> to listen to messages from a queue (e.g. `test.queue`) as a
>> consumer/worker, another to listen to the same queue but with a
>> distribution mode of `copy` in order to passively track some information
>> without corrupting the behavior of the first consumer.  Is this possible?
>>
>> It seems from preliminary testing that I can't guarantee the order that
>> these links are created, and therefore if the first receiver picks up the
>> message it will never be delivered to the passive copy receiver.  I
>> understand this is sort of a contrived scenario, but I'm not seeing in the
>> spec how I otherwise might give priority to a given queue. Perhaps qpidd
>> has some internal means of doing this?
>>

> Would it be possible to have messages that are published to test.queue go
> through an exchange, and then bind another queue to that exchange as well
> which would then contain the same set of messages?

That's exactly what I ended up doing :) Glad to see I wasn't on the
complete wrong path here. It did see pretty obvious that what I was asking
for sounded a lot more like an exchange.

Thanks for the response Gordon, sorry for the noise

Matt

Re: link delivery priority

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.