Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by MysticRyuujin <my...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/17 19:25:19 UTC

Ubuntu 19 and MySQL Connector/J

It seems that Ubuntu repo maintainers have dropped support for
`libmysql-java` in favor of `libmariadb-java` which results in a very
annoying situation where we have to manually download and install the
connector and can no longer rely on apt to keep the connector updated
because Guacamole seems to rely on the 'com.mysql.jdbc.Driver' class
explicitly where as `libmariadb-java` uses `org.mariadb.jdbc.Driver`

Which means that in Ubuntu < 19 we could do this:
apt install libmysql-java
ln -s /usr/share/java/mysql-connector-java.jar /etc/guacamole/lib/

But we can no longer do that as libmysql-java isn't a valid library in
Ubuntu 19. The recommendation seems to be to use libmariadb-java but
obviously that's not working w/o changes to Guacamole?

Is there a way around this other than downloading the jar from the MySQL
website?

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/about-mariadb-connector-j/

Re: Ubuntu 19 and MySQL Connector/J

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 2:25 PM MysticRyuujin <my...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It seems that Ubuntu repo maintainers have dropped support for
> `libmysql-java` in favor of `libmariadb-java` which results in a very
> annoying situation where we have to manually download and install the
> connector and can no longer rely on apt to keep the connector updated
> because Guacamole seems to rely on the 'com.mysql.jdbc.Driver' class
> explicitly where as `libmariadb-java` uses `org.mariadb.jdbc.Driver`
>
> Which means that in Ubuntu < 19 we could do this:
> apt install libmysql-java
> ln -s /usr/share/java/mysql-connector-java.jar /etc/guacamole/lib/
>
> But we can no longer do that as libmysql-java isn't a valid library in
> Ubuntu 19. The recommendation seems to be to use libmariadb-java but
> obviously that's not working w/o changes to Guacamole?
>
> Is there a way around this other than downloading the jar from the MySQL
> website?
>
> https://mariadb.com/kb/en/about-mariadb-connector-j/

Support has been merged for the 1.2.0 version (release date unknown, in the
future), and I just need to do the documentation for it.

-Nick