Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/21 14:07:01 UTC

Re: svn commit: r477149 - in /harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/build/make: targets/kernel.test.xml test.properties

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>>
>> I would also like a switch. I don't like it that a change which
>> knowingly introduces problems with acceptance tests is committed
>> without discussion. Should we discard kernel tests from drlvm commits
>> until they are fixed? I think that there was an agreement about no
>> regression. So now all commits to drlvm are blocked.
>>

> Can we just declare that it's time to drive to getting these tests
> fixed????

I never wrote that we shouldn't fix these bugs. I just complained that
instead of breaking things like this, the new mode could be introduced
as an option to allow us to fix tests first, then switch to it.

--
Gregory

Re: svn commit: r477149 - in /harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/build/make: targets/kernel.test.xml test.properties

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> I'm missing something though - what broke because of this change?
>>
>> Well I assumed that kernel tests crashes on windows XP are because of
>> the new mode when all tests are executed in the same VM. When test is
>> executed separately it doesn't crash. I am going to try to find the
>> problem now.
>
> If that's the case, I'd argue that we were already broken, and we just
> didn't know it.

Yes this is true.

But imagine that I've created a new test that fails on VM. Should I
immediately add it to acceptance tests, or should I fix the problem
(announce about it in case I cannot do it myself) and only then add this
test as a regression?

The same happened with kernel tests. The switch was done before the
problem was fixed. I think it is not right.

--
Gregory

Re: svn commit: r477149 - in /harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/build/make: targets/kernel.test.xml test.properties

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>

>> Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>>
>>> I just complained that instead of breaking things like this, the new
>>> mode could be introduced as an option to allow us to fix tests first,
>>> then switch to it.
>>
>> I'm missing something though - what broke because of this change?
>
> Well I assumed that kernel tests crashes on windows XP are because of
> the new mode when all tests are executed in the same VM. When test is
> executed separately it doesn't crash. I am going to try to find the
> problem now.

If that's the case, I'd argue that we were already broken, and we just
didn't know it.

geir

Re: svn commit: r477149 - in /harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/build/make: targets/kernel.test.xml test.properties

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.