Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dimitrios Christodoulakis <di...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/02 03:56:17 UTC

compatibility of various versions Tomcat, jdk, and struts2

Hello,

while doing development I am conforming to the versions provided by
our hosting service. I am trying to select the most suitable version
of the framework, java and tomcat so, just wanted to ask if there are
known compatibility issues with the following combination:

Fixed:
jdk1.5.0_17
Tomcat5.5

Next I want to select Struts2, Spring and Hibernate. So before going
ahead, downloading all the jar files, would you recommend specific
versions to go with the given specification above?

struts2.1.6 or struts2.0.14 ?

would the current/latest version of spring and hibernate 3 work with
the above tomcat and jdk? Or which versions are appropriate?

struts 2 comes with the required spring jars (just for dependency
injection only) included if I am not mistaken.
Hibernate 3 ?
Is there an online resource somewhere where there is such matching of
versions discussed, with recommendations given just which versions of
which components to select?

If anyone could suggest a working combination, would help a lot.

Thanks to all.

Re: compatibility of various versions Tomcat, jdk, and struts2

Posted by Dimitrios Christodoulakis <di...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the detailed information Wes, this was useful. I was able
to finally integrate Struts2.1.6, Spring2.5.3 and hibernate3.
WEB-INF/lib became quite bloated with all the jars though :) - I think
35 jars... is it too many perhaps?

I am not sure if there is a way around it, but during this effort to
simply integrate these frameworks I was getting exceptions of the kind
classNotFoundException, but the logs didn't give information which jar
containing the missing class was corrupt, or just not under the /lib
folder. So I had to do a search on the exception and find out which
jar the class is contained in, then download and include the jar in
the /lib folder.

Is there a tool, a quick way, or an eclipse specific trick (?) to tell
right-away which jar is missing from my dependencies just by looking
at the exception? Eclipse console provides a view of the Tomcat log,
so it would be nice to see something like: "ClassNotFoundException:
org.blah.blah.class", you are probably missing "this.jar"

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
I am using whatever version of Java 6 that ubuntu gives me. I'm pretty
sure it bumped up a version since I started this project, but I point
to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun which symlinks to the specific version
in-play.

I am an IDEA user, but I hide those details behind apache maven. If
you are unfamiliar with Maven, I would suggest you take a long, hard
look at it now, especially since you are starting a project and you
are bringing in Struts 2 / Spring / Hibernate. The details of which
versions are compatible with what are handled for you by maven,
eliminating an otherwise troublesome build process.

Now that I'm at work, I can give you the specific versions -

Struts 2 & all plugins - 2.1.6
Spring and all Spring modules - 2.5.6
Hibernate -
    ejb3-persistence - 1.0.2.GA
    hibernate-annotations - 3.4.0.GA
    hibernate-commons-annotations - 3.1.0.GA
    hibernate-core - 3.3.1.GA
    hibernate-entity-manager - 3.4.0.GA

Since I am using JPA, I am working hard to make the JPA provider a
deployment detail. So, there is no hard dependency on hibernate
(thanks to Spring).

Although I am using the latest JDK, I have the target jvm set to 1.5.
When I run in tomcat, I issue either tomcat:run to maven, which runs
Tomcat 6.0.16. I have a server that I deploy to when I need to test a
real deployment and it is running Tomcat 6.0.18. I have used Tomcat
5.5.x before this project and I can assure you that Struts 2 / Spring
/ etc. work very well.

Again though, if you haven't looked at maven, I strongly suggest you
do so, learning maven will vastly speed up your dev time.

-Wes

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Dimitrios
Christodoulakis<di...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Wes,
>
> Latest versions are always better to use for up to date compatibility.
>
> Are you using Struts 2.1.6, Spring 2.5.6 and the latest hibernate jpa
> with the bit older versions of jdk1.5.0_17 and Tomcat5.5.27 and
> Eclipse?
>
> If there are no known issues (based on versioning only) I'd be very
> glad to use the latest struts2,spring and hibernate with the slightly
> older jdk and tomcat.
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Wes Wannemacher<we...@wantii.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 01 July 2009 21:56:17 Dimitrios Christodoulakis wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> while doing development I am conforming to the versions provided by
>>> our hosting service. I am trying to select the most suitable version
>>> of the framework, java and tomcat so, just wanted to ask if there are
>>> known compatibility issues with the following combination:
>>>
>>> Fixed:
>>> jdk1.5.0_17

Posted by Dimitrios Christodoulakis <di...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Wes,