Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es> on 2008/08/27 13:32:55 UTC

[Proposal] Apache Droids as subproject of HttpComponents (was Re: Apache Droids using Norbert)

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 13:35 +0100, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 09:16 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> > Hi Thorsten,
> >
> > > Is there are still interest to host Droids and sponsor it in incubation
> > > as mentioned in [2]?
> >
> > Definitely :-) Meanwhile, we have created a charter [a] and Droids fits
> > the "build upon and extend" clause. We will expect it to work well with
> > HttpClient 4 eventually, but that doesn't have to be exclusive.
>
> I guess shortly I will finish the docu and a simple example (that I
> develop for the documentation) and we can then decide how we will
> procedure.

I consider the current development stand of Apache Droids as stable
after enhancing the multi-thread feature and finishing the default
implementation. The default droid and worker is a simple crawler that
scraps a webpage and saves the resources to disk.

It is highly extensible and in my current work project I am using 5
different droids that are running very smooth. This droids are extending
the default implementation and are adding business specific logic.

Some of this droids are connecting to another web site to get some data
and invoke then the parsing of this data to generate an internal
representation of them and send them to an Apache Solr server. Another
droids simply crawls a file system to edit specific files with the
result of a database query.

I like to start the move to the incubator with Droids with the
HttpComponents project sponsoring it.

WDYT?

salu2

Re: [Proposal] Apache Droids as subproject of HttpComponents (was Re: Apache Droids using Norbert)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 13:32 +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 13:35 +0100, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 09:16 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> > > Hi Thorsten,

> > > Definitely :-) Meanwhile, we have created a charter [a] and Droids fits
> > > the "build upon and extend" clause. We will expect it to work well with
> > > HttpClient 4 eventually, but that doesn't have to be exclusive.
> >
> > I guess shortly I will finish the docu and a simple example (that I
> > develop for the documentation) and we can then decide how we will
> > procedure.
>
> I consider the current development stand of Apache Droids as stable
> after enhancing the multi-thread feature and finishing the default
> implementation. The default droid and worker is a simple crawler that
> scraps a webpage and saves the resources to disk.
>
> It is highly extensible and in my current work project I am using 5
> different droids that are running very smooth. This droids are extending
> the default implementation and are adding business specific logic.
>
> Some of this droids are connecting to another web site to get some data
> and invoke then the parsing of this data to generate an internal
> representation of them and send them to an Apache Solr server. Another
> droids simply crawls a file system to edit specific files with the
> result of a database query.
>
> I like to start the move to the incubator with Droids with the
> HttpComponents project sponsoring it.

Here are some links:
docu: http://people.apache.org/~thorsten/droids/
svn: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/labs/droids/trunk

salu2

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@apache.org>.
On Aug 27, 2008, at 19:35:52, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>> I guess shortly I will finish the docu and a simple example (that I
>>> develop for the documentation) and we can then decide how we will
>>> procedure.
>> I consider the current development stand of Apache Droids as stable
>> after enhancing the multi-thread feature and finishing the default
>> implementation. The default droid and worker is a simple crawler that
>> scraps a webpage and saves the resources to disk. It is highly
>> extensible and in my current work project I am using 5
>> different droids that are running very smooth. This droids are
>> extending
>> the default implementation and are adding business specific logic.
>> Some of this droids are connecting to another web site to get some
>> data
>> and invoke then the parsing of this data to generate an internal
>> representation of them and send them to an Apache Solr server.
>> Another
>> droids simply crawls a file system to edit specific files with the
>> result of a database query. I like to start the move to the
>> incubator with Droids with the
>> HttpComponents project sponsoring it.
>
> +1 to HC sponsoring Droids' incubation.

+1 here too.

> I am willing to participate in the incubation process and help
> integrate Droids into HC.

Unfortunately I won't be able to help with the incubation process
myself but I'm certainly happy to foster the final integration into HC
if it turns out to be the best home for Droids...

Cheers,
Erik

Re: [Proposal] Apache Droids as subproject of HttpComponents (was Re: Apache Droids using Norbert)

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
I will also help with incubation if you like.

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [Proposal] Apache Droids as subproject of HttpComponents (was Re: Apache Droids using Norbert)

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>> I guess shortly I will finish the docu and a simple example (that I
>>> develop for the documentation) and we can then decide how we will
>>> procedure.
>>>

>> I consider the current development stand of Apache Droids as stable
>> after enhancing the multi-thread feature and finishing the default
>> implementation. The default droid and worker is a simple crawler that
>> scraps a webpage and saves the resources to disk.
>> It is highly extensible and in my current work project I am using 5
>> different droids that are running very smooth. This droids are extending
>> the default implementation and are adding business specific logic.
>>
>> Some of this droids are connecting to another web site to get some data
>> and invoke then the parsing of this data to generate an internal
>> representation of them and send them to an Apache Solr server. Another
>> droids simply crawls a file system to edit specific files with the
>> result of a database query.
>> I like to start the move to the incubator with Droids with the
>> HttpComponents project sponsoring it.
>>

> +1 to HC sponsoring Droids' incubation. I am willing to participate in the
> incubation process and help integrate Droids into HC.
>
> Cheers
>
> Oleg

Sounds good to me.

   ...ant

Re: [Proposal] Apache Droids as subproject of HttpComponents (was Re: Apache Droids using Norbert)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.