Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Mir Tanvir Hossain <mi...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/01 19:19:55 UTC

Manual Tombstone Removal for Leveled Compaction

Hello, I have a question about the tombstone removal process for leveled
compaction strategy. I am migrating a lot of text data from a cassandra
column family to elastic search. The column family uses leveled compaction
strategy. As part of the migration, I am deleting the migrated rows from
cassandra. The migration process has been running for about a month. The
problem I am observing is that cassandra is not freeing up disk space for
that table. I know cassandra waits until the gc_grace_period is passed
before deleting any data. We have the default gc_grace_period which I
believe is 10 days. Is there anyway I can manually start the tombstone
removal process? Thanks, Mir