Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by zahra a <na...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/05 15:51:00 UTC

maybe its my message for farewell to the group:

hello every one.
i subscribed to the group many months ago.
with hope that can help you and getting help from you.
i sent answer to the simple questions which i could help
and i dont know did my answer help you?
are they beneficial for you or not?
but unfortunately, your program is not 100% accessible for blind users.
for example: footnotes, tables, say all command etc dont work for
screen reader users.
also openoffice combines diacritics in to letters for arabic language,
we cant navigate between diacritics in the way we can navigate through
letters using right arrow key and even character count is incorrect.
its not my expected behaviour or comfortable for me to use your
program, without supporting of diacritics.
i dont see any special and useful update for openoffice in recent
years and if i cant read, write and edit my books, and developers dont
solve this issue, i realy cant use your program and i decide to
unsubscribe from this group.
whats your idea?
who can help me and answer my question?
God bless you all.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Re: maybe its my message for farewell to the group:

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Cross posting to the l10n list to see if anyone here has any advice for this gentleman.

Specifically regarding the handling of diacriticals.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
> On Jul 5, 2017, at 12:59 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> --
>> Registered Linux User: #480675
>> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
>> Linux since June 2005
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 10:51 AM, zahra a <na...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> hello every one.
>>> i subscribed to the group many months ago.
>>> with hope that can help you and getting help from you.
>>> i sent answer to the simple questions which i could help
>>> and i dont know did my answer help you?
>>> are they beneficial for you or not?
>>> but unfortunately, your program is not 100% accessible for blind users.
>>> for example: footnotes, tables, say all command etc dont work for
>>> screen reader users.
>>> also openoffice combines diacritics in to letters for arabic language,
>>> we cant navigate between diacritics in the way we can navigate through
>>> letters using right arrow key and even character count is incorrect.
>>> its not my expected behaviour or comfortable for me to use your
>>> program, without supporting of diacritics.
>>> i dont see any special and useful update for openoffice in recent
>>> years and if i cant read, write and edit my books, and developers dont
>>> solve this issue, i realy cant use your program and i decide to
>>> unsubscribe from this group.
>>> whats your idea?
>>> who can help me and answer my question?
>>> God bless you all.
>>
>> Are you answers beneficial?
>>
>> Unknown.
>> If they helped the specific OP then, yes.
>>
>> As for the rest, if it does not work for you, then it doesnt.
>> Its pretty simple. You'll need to move on and find something else.
>>

> Sounds like this project is pretty much abandoned anyway, isn't it?
> Hopefully I'm wrong.

Developers are working on a 4.1.4 release soon. There is also a 4.2 release in the future.

Please keep in mind that this is now a completely volunteer project. Those of you who answer questions on the user list and on the forums are doing your part.

Now doing something that really helps this individuals criticisms would fall into a few categories.

(1) User Accessibility. Working with Screen Readers. It may be that there are other approaches.
(2) Handling od diacriticals in a right to left language. This is likely tied up in Unicode and or UTF-16 standards work. Not sure if those meet the gentlemen’s needs in Arabic. Perhaps some of our friends in the Hebrew or other Arabic language experts would know. A cross post to L10n@openoffice.apache.org might help.

Regards,
Dave

Re: maybe its my message for farewell to the group:

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wade Smart <wa...@gmail.com>.